Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:33 PM   #51
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
In fact the only reason I haven't purchased the Note II now is because I strongly prefer IPS screens and I think I've potentially found 'the one' with the Optimus G Pro. At this point I'm just waiting for the darn thing to be officially released in North America. Q2 is the vague answer that we have to accept for now.
You do know you can tone down the colours on the Note 2 via the settings there are a number of presets, i have mine on the "Natural" preset which tones down the colours alot. If that was the reason you did'nt particulary like the AMOLED screen.

Last edited by IFRIT; Mar 21, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
IFRIT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:51 PM   #52
blairh
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston/NYC/LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRIT View Post
You do know you can tone down the colours on the Note 2 via the settings there are a number of presets, i have mine on the "Natural" preset which tones down the colours alot. If that was the reason you did'nt particulary like the AMOLED screen.
Amoled is amoled. Settings can't do anything to make up for the technology's shortcomings. (Low brightness and poor whites.) IPS or nothing for me.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:02 PM   #53
bmac4
macrumors 68000
 
bmac4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Amoled is amoled. Settings can't do anything to make up for the technology's shortcomings. (Low brightness and poor whites.) IPS or nothing for me.
If you think the Optimus G Pro is going to be the phone for you because of the IPS display then you have things very wrong. The only good phone LG has right now is the nexus 4, and that is mostly Google. Like I said before if you like iOS a lot don't bother with android. Having a bigger screen will not make you happy. The OS is what makes the phone for a user. Sure you will like the screen for a while, but that will wear off. If you really think you want to try Google and want the big screen you need to get the note 2. It will be the smoothest transition from the iphone. If you can't get over having a IPS display just don't bother. Wait on Apple.
bmac4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:03 AM   #54
mib1800
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Amoled is amoled. Settings can't do anything to make up for the technology's shortcomings. (Low brightness and poor whites.) IPS or nothing for me.
But amoled has its advantages that seems to attract the users attention more like vivid color, deep black/constrast and wider viewing angle. Brightness is not that much of an issue since it is bright enough for most use. IPS suffers from backlight leakage (i.e. white misty layer).

For me I can't go back to LCD/ips after amoled. LCD/ips screen just look so dull next to an amoled screen.
mib1800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:52 AM   #55
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
I got rather bored of Android and tried something different in the iPhone. So far so good, not bored yet. Unlike a lot of people I prefer the smaller screen and felt the flagship Android phones were getting too big. Just personal taste and we should all buy what we like regardless of the opinions of others
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB White iPad 3 32GB Black iPad Air 16GB White iPod Touch (2007)
The-Real-Deal82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:34 PM   #56
blairh
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston/NYC/LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac4 View Post
If you think the Optimus G Pro is going to be the phone for you because of the IPS display then you have things very wrong. The only good phone LG has right now is the nexus 4, and that is mostly Google. Like I said before if you like iOS a lot don't bother with android. Having a bigger screen will not make you happy. The OS is what makes the phone for a user. Sure you will like the screen for a while, but that will wear off. If you really think you want to try Google and want the big screen you need to get the note 2. It will be the smoothest transition from the iphone. If you can't get over having a IPS display just don't bother. Wait on Apple.
I'm no longer waiting for Apple. I want to try a phablet. Not a 5" iPhone. Apple isn't making a phablet anytime soon.

I'm confident I'll be happy with Android. I'm not going to ever use an amoled device. I'm going to pre-order the Optimus G Pro from AT&T or purchase the international model.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib1800 View Post
But amoled has its advantages that seems to attract the users attention more like vivid color, deep black/constrast and wider viewing angle. Brightness is not that much of an issue since it is bright enough for most use. IPS suffers from backlight leakage (i.e. white misty layer).

For me I can't go back to LCD/ips after amoled. LCD/ips screen just look so dull next to an amoled screen.
I've discussed this in detail on this forum and would rather not get too deep into it again. I loathe amoled screens. The only true advantage they have is black performance. I find IPS is vastly superior for my needs. (True colors, brighter.) The iPhone 5 has no issue with viewing angles and I'm completely unaware of backlight leakage.

If amoled works for others, that's great. I personally strongly prefer IPS.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:44 PM   #57
bmac4
macrumors 68000
 
bmac4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
I'm no longer waiting for Apple. I want to try a phablet. Not a 5" iPhone. Apple isn't making a phablet anytime soon.

I'm confident I'll be happy with Android. I'm not going to ever use an amoled device. I'm going to pre-order the Optimus G Pro from AT&T or purchase the international model.
Ok have you watched videos and read reviews about it? Just asking because the phone is going to be very different from anything else you have ever used? Have you tried out any android phones? Which ones if you have? I just want to let you know LG does not have the greatest rep for making skins for android. I know you want that IPS screen, but just to get that you don't want to have a crappy skin on the phone. What has turn you off to amoled display? I am asking and telling you this stuff because not ever having used android before you need to do a lot of research. There are some really great android phones and then there are some not so great ones. I will say this again Don't buy a phone because of the screen. The screen can be great, but the rest of the phone can be junk. The reviews I have seen about the Optimus G Pro are that it copies a lot of what the note 2 does. Also you are going to be missing out on the S pen which I know does not seem like you would use very much, but man it is one of my favorite things about the note 2.

Last edited by bmac4; Mar 22, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
bmac4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:55 PM   #58
blairh
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston/NYC/LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac4 View Post
Ok have you watched videos and read reviews about it? Just asking because the phone is going to be very different from anything else you have ever used? Have you tried out any android phones? Which ones if you have? I just want to let you know LG does not have the greatest rep for making skins for android. I know you want that LPS screen, but just to get that you don't want to have a crappy skin on the phone. What has turn you off to amoled display? I am asking and telling you this stuff because not ever having used android before you need to do a lot of research. There are some really great android phones and then there are some not so great ones. I will say this again Don't buy a phone because of the screen. The screen can be great, but the rest of the phone can be junk. The reviews I have seen about the Optimus G Pro are that it copies a lot of what the note 2 does. Also you are going to be missing out on the S pen which I know does not seem like you would use very much, but man it is one of my favorite things about the note 2.
I've watched every Optimus G Pro video on YouTube. I've also read every major review. (Few so far, only the Korean model.) When the international and AT&T reviews come out, I will read those too. I will be very informed about the device before it's released in America.

I've demoed many Android devices. Mainly every flagship released since early 2012. Again, I'm confident that I'll be happy with Android.

I've done my homework regarding the Optimus skin on the G Pro. It doesn't phase me. In fact I like the default browser a great deal.

I hate the performance of an amoled display. It is far too dim at max brightness and does a terrible job of displaying whites. I find reading text on amoled displays to be a terrible experience whereas it's a pleasure on an IPS display. Such comments will make amoled fans feel the need to chime in, so let me just say congrats if you like your amoled display. I don't care. That isn't the point. I've already decided I will not use such a display.

I have no need for a stylus. I honestly don't see myself using one even if the G Pro had one.

I have done my homework, if you will, and I'm going to order the G Pro. It appears to offer everything I want in my next phone.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)

Last edited by blairh; Mar 22, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:20 PM   #59
bmac4
macrumors 68000
 
bmac4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
I've watched every Optimus G Pro video on YouTube. I've also read every major review. (Few so far, only the Korean model.) When the international and AT&T reviews come out, I will read those too. I will be very informed about the device before it's released in America.

I've demoed many Android devices. Mainly every flagship released since early 2012. Again, I'm confident that I'll be happy with Android.

I've done my homework regarding the Optimus skin on the G Pro. It doesn't phase me. In fact I like the default browser a great deal.

I hate the performance of an amoled display. It is far too dim at max brightness and does a terrible job of displaying whites. I find reading text on amoled displays to be a terrible experience whereas it's a pleasure on an IPS display. Such comments will make amoled fans feel the need to chime in, so let me just say congrats if you like your amoled display. I don't care. That isn't the point. I've already decided I will not use such a display.

I have no need for a stylus. I honestly don't see myself using one even if the G Pro had one.

I have done my homework, if you will, and I'm going to order the G Pro. It appears to offer everything I want in my next phone.
Ok well good for you. I hope you enjoy your new android phone. I have no idea when the Pro is suppose to release, so I hope it is not long for you. I love the size of my note 2 and I could not be happier with with it. I am not sure if see any of the issues that you say you have with the amoled display, but it may be because most of the Samsung amoled displays have pentile displays. The note 2 does not. And is one of the best looking display have ever used. The colors are amazing.

I would say if you could get your hands on a demo model or something of the nexus 4 you should do it. See what pure android is like. Great phone and really make you appreciate android at its purest form. I only say this because you have not used android yet. I have had 2 nexus devices and after owning them I said I would never own anything else, but samsung did such a good job on the note 2 it works so well. I really hope you enjoy yours.
bmac4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:41 PM   #60
blairh
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston/NYC/LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac4 View Post
Ok well good for you. I hope you enjoy your new android phone. I have no idea when the Pro is suppose to release, so I hope it is not long for you. I love the size of my note 2 and I could not be happier with with it. I am not sure if see any of the issues that you say you have with the amoled display, but it may be because most of the Samsung amoled displays have pentile displays. The note 2 does not. And is one of the best looking display have ever used. The colors are amazing.

I would say if you could get your hands on a demo model or something of the nexus 4 you should do it. See what pure android is like. Great phone and really make you appreciate android at its purest form. I only say this because you have not used android yet. I have had 2 nexus devices and after owning them I said I would never own anything else, but samsung did such a good job on the note 2 it works so well. I really hope you enjoy yours.
I'm sure stock Android is great but I don't like the Nexus 4. Glass back, no expandable memory, no LTE. I also don't want a 4.7" screen. I'm ready for 5.5".

The release for the North American edition of the G Pro is schedule for Q2. There was a news item yesterday that LG had submitted an FCC filing for this model. If I had to guess, I expect the Pro to reach America by sometime in May. I will post my thoughts on the device in this forum once I get it and use it for a few days.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:47 PM   #61
bmac4
macrumors 68000
 
bmac4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
I'm sure stock Android is great but I don't like the Nexus 4. Glass back, no expandable memory, no LTE. I also don't want a 4.7" screen. I'm ready for 5.5".

The release for the North American edition of the G Pro is schedule for Q2. There was a news item yesterday that LG had submitted an FCC filing for this model. If I had to guess, I expect the Pro to reach America by sometime in May. I will post my thoughts on the device in this forum once I get it and use it for a few days.
Oh I was not telling you to buy the nexus 4. I just thought you should check it out. Just thought you should play around with it see what stock android is all about. I would not recommend a nexus device for a first time android user. It is made for more advanced user and does not offer so of the features people like.
bmac4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:13 AM   #62
miamialley
macrumors 68000
 
miamialley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
That is really good advice that I think a lot of people forget. Switching just because you want a bigger screen can really make you regret your decision. I would definitely suggest keeping both phones for the length of the return period before you fully decide.
Yeah, I'm going to get the S4 when released as my first Android, but keep the iPhone 5 until my decision to stick with Android or not is confirmed.

Also, if someone doesn't like a particular thread, just move on.
__________________
If you disagree with my post, you have to write a post in response. (because that's obviously better than seeing the number of vote downs on a post) Thanks MR!
miamialley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:37 PM   #63
blairh
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston/NYC/LA
I should add something which has been driving me absolutely crazy lately with my iPhone 5 and made me curious if a new phone would still have this issue or not.

I've had the iPhone 5 since it launched but for the last month I've been having serious wi-fi issues at home. This never happened before with any iPhone nor this iPhone until a month ago. I also had my iPhone 5 replaced two weeks ago because there was a hardware defect with the camera and the new iPhone 5 has the exact same issues.

My wi-fi icon does not dissapear however pages simply stop loading on my iPhone. Turning wi-fi off then on again remedies the situation, but it drives me nuts. Probably happens 4 or 5 times a day. Sometimes more.

I have a 5th gen AirPort Extreme and it has cause me zero problems with my MBA. My iPad Mini however has the same wi-fi issues, just not as frequently.

There is currently a 271 page thread over at the Apple boards. I'm surprised this issue isn't getting more coverage in the tech press.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Considering 4.7" and 5.7" Screens for 2014 iPhone Models, iPhone 5S and Low-Cost iPhone Due in September MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 596 Feb 8, 2014 12:06 AM
Game Cheat for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation) Mjasa iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Sep 14, 2013 07:25 AM
Game Cheat for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation) mja050 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Apr 8, 2013 08:22 AM
Unsatisfied with iPhone 5's EarPods. Blackberryroid iPhone Accessories 148 Oct 2, 2012 02:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC