Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
So today I woke up and when I turned on my Mac I found out there was an iStat Menus update. Still a little bit sleepy and not reading it carefully I clicked OK on every pop up that appeared. When the update was complete I was shocked to find out that I was now running iStat Menus 4 and that my license key for iStat Menus 3 didn't work anymore.

I feel a little bit cheated because it wasn't not so long ago that I spend 16$ USD and now they're asking me to pay 9$ USD more in order to 'upgrade'. I don't want to upgrade, there's no difference between the version 3 and the newer version, and even if they changed the design a little bit, I simply don't care.

Is there a way to get back to the previous version with the same serial key I was using so far? or have I been scammed and now have to spend 9$ USD in order not to loose the access/usage of this application completely?

And yep, for me 16$ USD is a lot of money. Don't even bother commenting on how I spent 1000+$ USD on a Mac and not being willing to throw some more money in order to get an application.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Major updates are typically paid updates on most software applications. Its not like they're forcing you to upgrade and you can still live with version 3.

Why is version 3 not working - I'm on that version and I don't have a problem with it.

Did you try contacting them, if you are a recent customer they may waive the upgrade fee.

Lailoken

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2006
Same thing, I have several computers and a slew of updates. iStat also constantly updates (I have a multi-machine licence for it too).

No other app upgrades this easily while invalidating a licence... I think it should take you to a page to purchase a licence for a new one BEFORE downloading it...

I love this app and the upgrade price is reasonable, but this behavior really sucked.

Bad boy!

UPDATE:

It is really a cool update:

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/versionhistory/

And you CAN still get the last version 3 build on their main page, so I guess it's not so bad...

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/
(see right at bottom)

I guess...

So today I woke up and when I turned on my Mac I found out there was an iStat Menus update. Still a little bit sleepy and not reading it carefully I clicked OK on every pop up that appeared. When the update was complete I was shocked to find out that I was now running iStat Menus 4 and that my license key for iStat Menus 3 didn't work anymore.

I feel a little bit cheated because it wasn't not so long ago that I spend 16$ USD and now they're asking me to pay 9$ USD more in order to 'upgrade'. I don't want to upgrade, there's no difference between the version 3 and the newer version, and even if they changed the design a little bit, I simply don't care.

Is there a way to get back to the previous version with the same serial key I was using so far? or have I been scammed and now have to spend 9$ USD in order not to loose the access/usage of this application completely?

And yep, for me 16$ USD is a lot of money. Don't even bother commenting on how I spent 1000+$ USD on a Mac and not being willing to throw some more money in order to get an application.

----------

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Thanks for the info. One thing I noticed is that they no longer let you get the battery info if you're using the 'combined' icon instead of every icon separately, I don't really like it. I'll try it for 14 days and then decide if it is worth upgrading.

This is the reason I do not buy anything outside the Mac App Store. If you buy there then you're sure to get the updates without having to spend more money every time.

Sarpent

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
Wow, this just happened to me for Bjango's iStatMenus (now apparently version 5). I just bought iStatMenus in March. This morning, I got a pop-up notice for an update with no mention that it was a paid update. I clicked update -- only to find that it unregistered my current copy of iStatMenus and gave me 15 days to purchase a registration number and no revert path. This is a completely unethical business practice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.