Can you print to ipad? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 27, 2010, 04:17 PM   #1
steffi
macrumors 6502a

Can you print to ipad?

There really should be a way to make something available on the ipad by printing to it from the desktop. I simply want the PDF content to then be made available on the ipad.

Anything like this?
steffi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 04:21 PM   #2
2002cbr600f4i
macrumors 6502

So you're looking for something like "Save as PDF on IPad" in your desktop apps? (or "Save As PDF" and be able to select the iPad as the storage location).

Don't think you're going to get that. Best bet is save it and then upload to the iPad outside the app using something like Goodreader or AirSharing HD.
2002cbr600f4i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
TheMadBrewer
macrumors regular

I'm still waiting for my iPad, but I use ACT Printer from Houdah all the time to print PDFs to my iPhone. The iPhone needs to be connected to the same wireless network as your Mac then in the print dialog you choose "Save As PDF" and then "Print to iPhone"

Don't know how to do it if you have a windows machine.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 04:51 PM   #4
ankit
macrumors member

instapaper is your friend. Easily one of the best apps for the ipad.
ankit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 04:53 PM   #5
kepner
macrumors 6502

Use the print window to Save as PDF, and choose your Dropbox as the save location. Use Goodreader on your iPad to connect to your Dropbox account and download it.
kepner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:53 PM   #6
StuartL
macrumors member

I use the iPrinter app for this. It makes the iPad appear as an available printer on my network. Works very well.

Can also see the printer from windows by installing Bonjour for Windows

Last edited by StuartL; Jan 11, 2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added bit about printing from windows
StuartL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:13 PM   #7
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

It seems like printing to your DropBox folder would be the most versitile as DB is supported by a lit of apps on the iPad. Do any of the apps mentioned better dropbox?

Dropbox would have the benefit of not needing to have your iPad around when you print to it.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:21 AM   #8
PaperQueen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
It seems like printing to your DropBox folder would be the most versitile as DB is supported by a lit of apps on the iPad. Do any of the apps mentioned better dropbox?

Dropbox would have the benefit of not needing to have your iPad around when you print to it.
Two best options (in my opinion, in no particular order):

1. Save PDF to Evernote on your desktop, then open it using Evernote's iOS app--both are free (create a Notebook called "iPad docs," then put things there for quick access).

2. Save PDF to Dropbox from your desktop, then open it in the Dropbox iOS app--depending on the size of your Dropbox account, price runs from free to $$ (create a folder called "iPad docs" for quick access).

Depending on the item/purpose, I use both. They auto-sync outside the local network, items load fast, accessing documents is easy, and they're über-reliable. Win/win all the way around.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad