Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alberto56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hi all,

I am using Mac OS X 10.8.2. My employer used his iTunes account to add some apps to my account, and when I try to update them it says I need his password, which I don't have. The result is that updates are constantly available for my computer. I do not want notification center to let me know of these.

I went to System prefs > software updates and unchecked everything. I also went to System prefs > notifications and cannot find "App store" in the left column. Nonetheless I set all "Alert styles" to none.

The app store application itself does not seem to have any preferences.

Now, the problem is, (I think), Mac OS X already downloaded all the updates for apps which were initially downloaded with an iTunes account to which I do not have a password, so the system keeps pestering me (while I'm watching movies, for example), with a badge saying "App Updates Available New software is ready to be installed [details] [Update]".

How can I get completely rid of this? Thanks!

Albert.

----------

This might be overkill, but I tried the technique at http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/06/disable-notification-center-remove-menu-bar-icon-os-x/ and, keeping my fingers crossed, this is working for now.

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand
Don't know the costs involved with these apps, and I'm assuming you refer to iPhone apps, but if it was me I'd delete the apps from the computer (in iTunes) and download them myself using my own account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.