Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:43 PM   #1
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

How stable are the new iMacs?

I checked out the new 27" in the store yesterday, and I have to say it is really, really nice. And it's more than twice as powerful as my 2006 Mac Pro.

What are the odds that some non-upgradeable component will die within, say, 5 years? Because that's the main trepidation I have with the machine. Otherwise I'd seriously consider it instead of waiting for the 2013 Mac Pro.
StephenCampbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCampbell View Post
I checked out the new 27" in the store yesterday, and I have to say it is really, really nice. And it's more than twice as powerful as my 2006 Mac Pro.

What are the odds that some non-upgradeable component will die within, say, 5 years? Because that's the main trepidation I have with the machine. Otherwise I'd seriously consider it instead of waiting for the 2013 Mac Pro.
I'd suggest if you need a new Mac and still want to get a Pro then maybe use a Mini as a stop gap, it still should be faster than the 2006 Pro. Just depends what you need.

I have a 27" on the way to replace my 2005 G5 Tower. I agree the reliability is a question but I have Apple Care which should give me some piece of mind for 3 years. Depending where I am then I might upgrade again.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Gelite55
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I'd suggest if you need a new Mac and still want to get a Pro then maybe use a Mini as a stop gap, it still should be faster than the 2006 Pro. Just depends what you need.

I have a 27" on the way to replace my 2005 G5 Tower. I agree the reliability is a question but I have Apple Care which should give me some piece of mind for 3 years. Depending where I am then I might upgrade again.
Very Stable. Don't wait for the Mac Pro. Apple might cut it out completely.
Gelite55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:46 PM   #4
bielen
macrumors regular

iMac 27 Rock Solid

I've had my 27" i7 since December 18th and it has been rock solid. There have not been any freezes. I recently purchased Parallels and even Windows has been running rock solid under the iMac albeit faster than ever before. Highly recommended.
bielen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bielen View Post
I've had my 27" i7 since December 18th and it has been rock solid. There have not been any freezes. I recently purchased Parallels and even Windows has been running rock solid under the iMac albeit faster than ever before. Highly recommended.
So you stole my 27" :lol:

I was told the 18th and 12 days later still nothing

I'm sure the new iMac is stable and will last as long as any new Mac, but I don't think Apple are done with the Mac Pro just yet. Why would they promise something in 2013 and then just kill it off. The Mac Pro will remain and it will have the same flexibility and user upgradeablity (HDD, RAM, Video) as the current ones, otherwise I don't see any point if they cut it down to make a iMac Pro for example.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Gelite55
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
So you stole my 27" :lol:

I was told the 18th and 12 days later still nothing

I'm sure the new iMac is stable and will last as long as any new Mac, but I don't think Apple are done with the Mac Pro just yet. Why would they promise something in 2013 and then just kill it off. The Mac Pro will remain and it will have the same flexibility and user upgradeablity (HDD, RAM, Video) as the current ones, otherwise I don't see any point if they cut it down to make a iMac Pro for example.
I don't know where u get ur news from but no word about Mac Pro upgrades has came out of Apple's mouth. The rumor sites have been talking about it for the last year.

The new high end iMac with the 680mx should be more than enough for even a seasoned pro.

Look none of us know. But we do know they didn't refresh them the same time as the iMac's. So...
Gelite55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelite55 View Post
I don't know where u get ur news from but no word about Mac Pro upgrades has came out of Apple's mouth. The rumor sites have been talking about it for the last year.

The new high end iMac with the 680mx should be more than enough for even a seasoned pro.

Look none of us know. But we do know they didn't refresh them the same time as the iMac's. So...
The Apple CEO said back in June when they did the lame Pro update that there would be a new one in 2013.

How new or upgraded, well none of us will know until it's released.

I ordered my 27" with the 680mx, i7 and Fusion. I figure that will better future proof it for at least 5 years. My 2005 G5 is still fine 99% of the time, just let down by a lack of updates for it's software now.
Lancer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:56 PM   #8
DerekS
macrumors regular

Mine has uptime from the day I received it on the 19th!

Very happy with the stability. I did go for the Apple ram this time out of laziness.
DerekS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601

Quote:

How many old iMac's from 5 years ago are still going strong today? Quite a lot I guess. But someone is always going to be unlucky. Get Applecare and if you have a problem in year 4 or 5 you will have either a hefty bill on your hands for a premium repair or you might be able to sort the problem yourself (depending on your skill set). Chances are though you won't have a problem and it will still be going strong.
I've had no issues or glitches with mine but it is early days!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Roller
macrumors 65816

Quote:
AppleCare will cover you for the first three years no matter what goes wrong. For years four and beyond, it depends on how comfortable you are opening the iMac. If you are, it may be possible for you to replace some components that could go bad, such as disk drives. There are other parts that would be very challenging or impossible to repair, but that caveat would apply to the Mac Pro, as well.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac