do you see it happening?
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:47 AM   #2
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
do you see it happening?
I don't expect next MBA update to be much more than Haswell spec bump (and possibly higher RAM and/or storage). When and if MBA goes retina, which probably will happen next year at the earliest, I expect MBA to adopt IPS panel as well.
nutmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:59 AM   #3
kaellar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
I don't expect next MBA update to be much more than Haswell spec bump (and possibly higher RAM and/or storage). When and if MBA goes retina, which probably will happen next year at the earliest, I expect MBA to adopt IPS panel as well.
IPS display doesn't have to be Retina. And I hope it won't be for MBA's. IPS displays with the same resolution as current MBA's ones + new Imac- and rMBP-like AR coating would be an awesome improvement over the current MBA without sacrificing laptop's battery life, size, power and whatsoever.
kaellar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:15 PM   #4
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaellar View Post
IPS display doesn't have to be Retina. And I hope it won't be for MBA's. IPS displays with the same resolution as current MBA's ones + new Imac- and rMBP-like AR coating would be an awesome improvement over the current MBA without sacrificing laptop's battery life, size, power and whatsoever.
True, Apple can bring IPS without retina and I hope to be wrong. MBAs do stick out like a sore thumb as the only Apple product with TN screen (well, outgoing classic MBPs too).

But I strongly suspect MBAs will remain status quo (aside from spec bumps) until they go retina.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:36 PM   #5
danistyping
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
But I strongly suspect MBAs will remain status quo (aside from spec bumps) until they go retina.
Yeah I agree. Retina is coming at some point in the next two years and it is unlike Apple to update something every generation. I think we'll get one more gen of TN displays and then a redesign + retina. OR the next release will be redesign with retina because Haswell will allow for it. Either way, a non-retina IPS in the next MBA is not going to happen IMO.
danistyping is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
do you see it happening?
After checking with the Magic 8-Ball the answer I came up with is: "Maybe. We'll know more a week or 2 before the next Air is released."
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:16 PM   #7
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
after checking with the magic 8-ball the answer i came up with is: "maybe. We'll know more a week or 2 before the next air is released."
u r so funny!
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air