Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gogol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
The Netherlands
I have a Fusion Drive in my late 2012 iMac and I have noticed a different sleep behavior compared to my previous 2011 iMac.

i now have a sleepimage of 2 GB and a dozen swap files in /var/vm/ although I have enough memory (24 GB).

I have seen these reports too for the Mac Mini and the MacBooks. It appears to me that this has something to do with using an SSD.
According to pmset hibernation is disabled but there is a sleepimage:
Code:
#pmset -g
Active Profiles:
AC Power		-1*
Currently in use:
 standby              1
 powerbutton          1
 womp                 1
 halfdim              1
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 autorestart          0
 networkoversleep     0
 disksleep            0
 sleep                45
 autopoweroffdelay    14400
 hibernatemode        0
 autopoweroff         1
 ttyskeepawake        1
 displaysleep         10
 standbydelay         4200

Do late 2012 iMacs without a Fusion Drive behave the same?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I now have a sleepimage of 2 GB and a dozen swap files in /var/vm/ although I have enough memory (24 GB).

I know the question and topic is about something else but if you have 24GB and a dozen or so swapfiles you should look how many pageouts you have.
If you use your iMac normally this is not normal behaviour, or are you using a lot of demanding programs?

Gogol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
The Netherlands
I know the question and topic is about something else but if you have 24GB and a dozen or so swapfiles you should look how many pageouts you have.
If you use your iMac normally this is not normal behaviour, or are you using a lot of demanding programs?
Not at all. I think that since the Fusion Drive has been on the market Sleep Policy has changed. Even though hibernation is not activated with pmset my iMac hibernates. This is also where the swap files come from, because I have zero page outs.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
My Mac Mini 2012 behaves exactly the same. I also have the problem that the Mac Mini randomly wakes up after 4 hours instead of going to hibernate.

I have turned off standby for now using "sudo pmset -a standby 0" in the terminal, which seems to solve the problem.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
wow hypocrite. Don't come flaming me in my thread about the same issue when you're in my position.

My advice to you would be wait a few months for Apple to fix it so it won't do your head in. Just have that Apple Care handy.

Gogol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
The Netherlands
wow hypocrite. Don't come flaming me in my thread about the same issue when you're in my position.
I guess you mean me saying that you have found a trick that of course is not promoted by Apple and that you should not do that (immutable bit on sleepimage) and if you call that flaming...

In this thread I just asked a question about other non-fusion-drive late 2012 iMacs after I posted my conclusion and I still don't have an answer to that question :(

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Mine is doing the same thing (late 2012 Fusion drive). 2GB sleepimage file and about 10 or so swap files. My Mac has 24GB of RAM so it's not needing to page much of anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.