Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Closed Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:25 PM   #251
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
Anyone figure out a way to sync iCloud calendars with Android? Because you can sync Google calendars with iOS.
I switched everything over to Google.

But if I continued to use iCloud for calendars I would probably use this from the Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...v.icloud&hl=en

There are others as well.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   1
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:53 PM   #252
mib1800
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
I've already pointed out the differences but you're choosing to ignore them.
no I am not. I am pointing out that an app can steal information in ios as well because the os also allows it when you accept the prompt( like you said about android).

btw: why the hypocrisy? i.e. ios users will bother to read the prompt and not android users.
mib1800 is online now   0
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:15 AM   #253
matttye
macrumors 601

Jelly Bean 4.1.1 vs. iOS 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib1800 View Post
no I am not. I am pointing out that an app can steal information in ios as well because the os also allows it when you accept the prompt( like you said about android).

btw: why the hypocrisy? i.e. ios users will bother to read the prompt and not android users.
There is no hypocrisy. I've already explained this, but here we go again...

On Android, you have to read a big list of permissions for EVERY app you install. If you don't read them all, then you could be granting who knows what permissions.

On iOS, you install apps without a care in the world, knowing that the OS will prompt you if the app requests permissions from you. The OS will only prompt you if the app requests permissions; for apps that don't need permissions, there will be no prompt.

Surely you can now see which one users are more likely to notice and which one takes up less time. Like I said, if I'm installing hundreds of apps I don't have time to read the permissions for everything; who does?!

If you're like me, you install apps one after the other sometimes, so in Android you would have to read a lot of information while you're installing the apps. In iOS you'd just go ahead and install them, and it would only ask for your permission when you actually go to use those apps, so there is less to read at any given time.

Last edited by matttye; Feb 14, 2013 at 01:24 AM.
matttye is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:20 AM   #254
mib1800
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
There is no hypocrisy. I've already explained this, but here we go again...

On Android, you have to read a big list of permissions for EVERY app you install. If you don't read them all, then you could be granting who knows what permissions.

On iOS, you install apps without a care in the world, knowing that the OS will prompt you if the app requests permissions from you. The OS will only prompt you if the app requests permissions; for apps that don't need permissions, there will be no prompt.

Surely you can now see which one users are more likely to notice and which one takes up less time. Like I said, if I'm installing hundreds of apps I don't have time to read the permissions for everything; who does?!

If you're like me, you install apps one after the other sometimes, so in Android you would have to read a lot of information while you're installing the apps. In iOS you'd just go ahead and install them, and it would only ask for your permission when you actually go to use those apps, so there is less to read at any given time.

is it half empty or half full?

The permission prompts in ios are so frequent that user tend to click allow automatically. furthermore if an app is a potential malware, why would you let it execute before you can discover whether it is harmful. that's stupid. In Android you know all permissions upfront before you even install the app.

Anyway if one is so concerned about security there are many app profiler in Android that categorize apps based on risk. In addition there are virus/malware scanner that further enhances security. No such apps exist in ios so users are left in the dark.
mib1800 is online now   0
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:52 AM   #255
sk1wbw
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post

But if I continued to use iCloud for calendars I would probably use this from the Play Store:

Michael
Thanks for this, it looks like the perfect solution.
sk1wbw is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:07 AM   #256
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post

Michael
likewise. I still use icloud for my contacts, but also downloaded "contact sync" to merge them with my google account
mattopotamus is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:48 PM   #257
onthecouchagain
Banned

So silly to be ward off from the joys of android because Google gets your information in this day and age.
onthecouchagain is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:51 PM   #258
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
likewise. I still use icloud for my contacts, but also downloaded "contact sync" to merge them with my google account
Yep I use both and it works so perfectly; in fact often my Nexus 7 will get calendar and contact updates often faster than my iPhone does.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:01 AM   #259
sk1wbw
In Time-Out

So the greatest OS in the history of mankind can't natively sync iCloud stuff, but iOS can natively sync Google stuff. It took me about two days to discover this, but golly does Android have **** tons of widgets! Wow, I swear the only thing Android users talk about is the widgets and the CPU.

Ask any Android fanboy what the CPU is on their device and they spit it out faster than a pistol bullet. They are proud of the quad core Tegra whatever and the widgets and stuff, but basic functionality like syncing iCloud stuff is not there.
sk1wbw is offline   0
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:21 AM   #260
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
So the greatest OS in the history of mankind can't natively sync iCloud stuff, but iOS can natively sync Google stuff. It took me about two days to discover this, but golly does Android have **** tons of widgets! Wow, I swear the only thing Android users talk about is the widgets and the CPU.

Ask any Android fanboy what the CPU is on their device and they spit it out faster than a pistol bullet. They are proud of the quad core Tegra whatever and the widgets and stuff, but basic functionality like syncing iCloud stuff is not there.
I have seen plenty of ignorant posts here but this just about takes the cake.

Apple deliberately doesn't play with others so it is everyone else's fault. Now I have heard it all.... good lord.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   1
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:30 AM   #261
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010

Quote:

Just like windows machines cannot run OS X. Not because they can't, but because apple doesn't allow it.

Blame it all on your uncle apple, not competitors for keeping it so tight.
sentinelsx is offline   0
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #262
sk1wbw
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinelsx View Post
Just like windows machines cannot run OS X. Not because they can't, but because apple doesn't allow it.

Blame it all on your uncle apple, not competitors for keeping it so tight.

Actually, Windows machines can run OS X. And Macs can run Windows. Getting OS X onto a Windows machine involves a few hacks, not so getting Windows on a Mac.
sk1wbw is offline   0
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:42 AM   #263
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Actually, Windows machines can run OS X. And Macs can run Windows. Getting OS X onto a Windows machine involves a few hacks, not so getting Windows on a Mac.
Yeah but is it legal? Does apple actually allow it? Is there a boot camp to run OS X on wintel? That's my point.

You can run windows without any legal problems or technical blocks because Microsoft simply sells you the license and is fine with whether you run it on a Mac or Dell.

Running Xcode on a hackintosh machine is still hell. Apple simply doesn't want anything apple related to run unless you pay them an extra few hundred to buy their equipment (I am 100 % confident my $350 core 2 duo laptop can handle lion and Xcode without issues if they were allowed to run properly).
sentinelsx is offline   0
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:10 PM   #264
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:

iCloud is proprietary to Apple. Just like FaceTime, iMessage, apple maps, AirPlay etc.

Look how many apps Google has in the iOS AppStore. Now look how many Apple has in Google play.

Apples never allowed other companies access or at least easy access to their software unless they can make profit from it, iTunes.

Don't get upset with Google because Apple restricts access to their services from 3rd parties.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:32 PM   #265
grkm3
macrumors regular

Quote:

well lets see android is OPEN source and ios is locked down.go play with your same ringtones and same wallpapers you have had for the past 6 years.

blaming android for not syncing to a locked down system....just sad
grkm3 is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:23 AM   #266
annk
Administrator

ADMIN NOTE:

There are so many rules violations and so much bickering in this thread that we've closed it for extensive clean-up (which will probably go on over the next days).

It will be reopened once we work our way through it, but until then no other threads on the subject should be created.

Edit: We've spent a considerable amount of time going through this thread, but the number of problematic posts is simply too great. We're going to leave the thread locked, with apologies to those of you who were genuinely interested in a discussion comparing the two OSs.

Last edited by annk; Feb 24, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
annk is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices