Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadath

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
And these are not user serviceable/replaceable right?

So Apple is REALLY pushing for Fusion over pure SSD?

Frustrating if so.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
No, they're not officially user-replaceable, though I'm sure that it'll be technically doable at the risk of voiding the warranty. It's also true that the Fusion drives are a lot less expensive than the SSDs, so that's what I'll be getting. However, Apple could easily introduce more and/or cheaper SSD options in the coming months, since that won't affect the iMac's form factor.

I have a 256GB SSD in my MacBook Air and once you start to load up photos, videos and music it quickly fills. I wouldn't be interested in an iMac with less than 512GB SSD and even then I would be hesitant.

768GB would be OK but my wife would have a fit when she saw the bill coming through on the credit card. :eek:

The Fusion Drive appears to be a great way to combine speed and capacity.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
No, it sucks. What if you want bootcamp with both partitions on a fast SSD? Not to mention less heat from an SSD-only system...

----------

If we could choose between fusion and pure SSD, it would have been fine. As it is now fusion drive is huge pain in the ...
If you want windows 7, games and bootcamp, fusion drive is a big disappointed.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
If you're desperate for a non-$1300 SSD, you should sit tight and not order until you see what OWC is doing. If it's easy enough to open the case they may have a solution for you.

Kadath

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of that. Though at least they give hope saying not at this time.

Welcome. I went with the 3TB Fusion for now. I'm not happy about it, hoping I can split them into logical drives or put in a real SSD down the road, but it is what it is for now....

Fifemacuser

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of that. Though at least they give hope saying not at this time.

The boot camp issue with the 3 tb is really frustrating. I don't have the cash for the full SSD.:(

I want to keep bootcamp for gaming. I would like the 3tb fusion, I guess I could just get it on the basis it will be fixed, but then again it may never. I suppose I will end up with 1 tb ad then just expand files onto an external or usb3 when I need to, but given how space requirements always go up I would prefer not to.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
If you're desperate for a non-$1300 SSD, you should sit tight and not order until you see what OWC is doing. If it's easy enough to open the case they may have a solution for you.

You win one (1) Internets.

This is the correct answer, folks: Just treat the HDD like RAM. Buy it with the minimum and have OWC aftermarket you the upgrade. This is how I plan to get to 32GB RAM and 512GB SSD... for a heck of a lot less than thirteen pounds large. From Apple's CTO, get the CPU and GPU upgrades if you like, since it makes sense to do those at the factory.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I got the 3TB fusion and have been thinking how im going to configure my storage needs, after much thinking i have a plan. Im going to replace the 3TB HDD with a 512GB SSD. I will use the 128GB SSD for my bootcamp/windows drive then use the 512GB SSD for OSX and Apps. I will then buy a thunderbolt enclosure for my media library and i will use the 3TB drive that i take out of the iMac in it. I will back everything up to a 4TB USB3 external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.