Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollivanto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Is anyone aware of an app that allows you to preview your iPhone photos in full-size on your Mac *without* importing them first? I've recently switched from PC to Mac and this is the only feature which I sorely miss.

The iPhoto preview is too small to be of any use. I realise I could import all the photos I want to look at in full size, view them and then delete the ones I don't want, but the upload time is extremely inconvenient when you're dealing with large numbers of photos and just want to choose a few to upload quickly.

Any solutions greatly appreciated!!

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Is anyone aware of an app that allows you to preview your iPhone photos in full-size on your Mac *without* importing them first? I've recently switched from PC to Mac and this is the only feature which I sorely miss.

The iPhoto preview is too small to be of any use. I realise I could import all the photos I want to look at in full size, view them and then delete the ones I don't want, but the upload time is extremely inconvenient when you're dealing with large numbers of photos and just want to choose a few to upload quickly.

Any solutions greatly appreciated!!

There are several programs that will allow you to mount your iPhone as if it were an external flash drive, so that you can view files that you can't normally access, as long as you're careful (you don't want to delete any iPhone system files). A quick Google search will find plenty.

The one I am familiar with is called iExplorer, but it's a little pricey (around $35 for the full version). They do have a feature-limited demo version that you can download for free. Even with the demo version, you can easily preview the photos on your iPhone with the built-in Preview window (not full size though), or highlight any photo and click the app's Quick Look (or click the Space bar) for a larger view, and from there you can expand the photo to full screen.

Worth a shot since it's free to download. You can always uninstall it if it doesn't serve your needs. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

No, I'm not affiliated in any way (I don't even receive a commission :) )

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Yes, there are several native programs already on your Mac that will allow you to view thumbnail images of your iPhone photos - iPhoto, Preview, and Image Capture can all do this for you. Of those 3 programs, iPhoto will give you the largest thumbnail image if you move the zoom slider all the way to the right.

But since you've already stated that the iPhoto thumbnail preview is too small to be of any use for you, you might need to look for a third-party app. On my Mac (13" MBA), a typical iPhone photo will display a maximum thumbnail size of around 137x182 in iPhoto, whereas the same image will display a maximum thumbnail size of around 670x900 in iExplorer. Still not full size, but larger than what you'll see in iPhoto. If you still need to see a larger image than that (true full size image), you'll probably need to import them to your Mac first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.