Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
That's how badly I want to be back in the Apple ecosystem.

It's something I can only explain as Magic, but only Apple seems to have it. The Nexus 7 is literally better than the Ipad mini in every concievable way, and all I can think of is how much I WANT THAT GOSH DARN IPAD MINI.

Note: We do actually have an ipad, but I gave it to my mom when I got my Nexus 7.

Seriously, It's not even like I'm tied into the Apple ecosystem, I don't have a lot of stuff that syncs with other stuff. I can literally only describe it as "Apple Magic" and I know that might make me seem like a fanboy, but you should look at all the other post of people saying the exact same things.

I'm saving up my money to be able to afford the new minis when they come out, and I'll try to sell off my Nexus 7.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Why not just have both? I picked up a used N7 first gen for $100 from CL. Best of both worlds..

K-Funk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
So you would honestly trade your $229 device for a $329 device? Not much of an admission.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I agree TS, part of the reason I still own an android tablet is because of the price.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I have both, the nexus 7 is cleary the better device. The specs, the screen but still the iPad OS is more polished and app ecosystem is better. Maybe i havnt figured out any android tricks.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have both, the nexus 7 is cleary the better device. The specs, the screen but still the iPad OS is more polished and app ecosystem is better. Maybe i havnt figured out any android tricks.

You like IOS better than android. The new N7 is clearly a better device though as you stated and easily.

There is a trial period just about anywhere when purchased. So why folks did you not return the new N7 if you like IOS better?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
You like IOS better than android. The new N7 is clearly a better device though as you stated and easily.

There is a trial period just about anywhere when purchased. So why folks did you not return the new N7 if you like IOS better?

I got mine as a gift, i keep gifts for sentimental purpose.

jdcell100

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Had every version of the ipad from generation 1 to mini about a month ago on an impulse buy I bought the new nexus 7 lasted 2 days befor I gave it away Ill stick to my iPads I think the mini is way better user expieriance so I can only imagin how the new mini will be when it's announced.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

$$$

I like Ferraris better than my Mitsubishi....

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I traded up from a Mini to Nexus 7 when the Nex7 came out and the only thing I miss are certain iOS specific games and the overall gaming experience. It is smoother and just better on the iPad..but overall I like the Nexus 7 better!

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I can literally only describe it as "Apple Magic" and I know that might make me seem like a fanboy, but you should look at all the other post of people saying the exact same things.

I'm saving up my money to be able to afford the new minis when they come out, and I'll try to sell off my Nexus 7.

I had the original Nexus 7 and have owned every single ipad since the original.

For browsing, reading books, etc.. They are a tie.

If you game a lot I can see how you'd like an iPad as they have somewhat better content.

The experience and everything though are equal to me so I don't get what you are trying to say.

elchorizo

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Beaverton, OR
I actually agree with this. I have a new Nexus 7, and while I like it, I would trade it today for a current gen iPad Mini. I've refused to buy the mini to this point because I want a retina version, but still, the Nexus 7 just disappointing me. And just to be clear, I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means. I prefer my Note 2 big time over an iPhone for example.

When I first got the Nexus 7 I thought it was very exciting. Finally the retina 7(ish) inch tablet Apple refuses to make. And sure enough, it was beautiful. I wasn't enthused about the tall thin form factor, the 3x4 form factor is one of the things I like about the iPad, but the screen is glorious. Also, I don't really care about the "ecosystem" card everyone plays. For my needs, both Android and Apple are excellent. So, I thought this N7 would be perfect rather than continue to wait for a retina mini.

But as I started using it I started to become more and more annoyed. In most apps it feels like the touch targets are too small. I hit my finger on something and it just doesn't register. I have to tap all around it until finally I accurately hit the target. That never seems to happen on my iPad (3rd generation). Its like my finger is just not accurate. Hard to explain. Also, annoyingly, the pinch zoom is not responsive. I pinch and for like the first maybe 1/4inch of pinch travel there is nothing, then it kicks in. Its like the N7 is spending a split second trying to determine if I'm pinching or not.

Another item is the sometimes sluggish behavior. I tap something and it doesn't respond, so I tap again, only to have it finally respond from the first tap and now my 2nd tap is actually landing on something on the followup screen. wtf?

If I had to summarize the problems I have with the N7 in one word it would be responsiveness. Its just not responsive. My iPad has none of these problems and I assume the mini doesn't either, and therefore, I'd choose a current gen mini over the N7.

I think I'll wait until the retina mini is confirmed, then sell the N7 to help fund it.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Not cutting edge by any means, but I just ordered a Nexus 10 version 2. I'm going to put Ubuntu Touch Beta on it for testing.

I currently manage several thousand iPads and we are always looking at the next thing. I'm thinking the Nexus 10, running Ubuntu Touch may just be it.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
Not cutting edge by any means, but I just ordered a Nexus 10 version 2. I'm going to put Ubuntu Touch Beta on it for testing.

I currently manage several thousand iPads and we are always looking at the next thing. I'm thinking the Nexus 10, running Ubuntu Touch may just be it.

If they can iron out some of the hardware issues of the first gen, that combo would be awesome.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
My iPad has none of these problems and I assume the mini doesn't either, and therefore, I'd choose a current gen mini over the N7.

I think I'll wait until the retina mini is confirmed, then sell the N7 to help fund it.

u really should't assume

mini has 512 ram.

n7 2013 has 2 GB ram.

u'll find a whole new can of worms when and if u test out the current mini.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
u really should't assume

mini has 512 ram.

n7 2013 has 2 GB ram.

u'll find a whole new can of worms when and if u test out the current mini.

There is nothing wrong with the current mini. It doesn't lag, it's snappy and very responsive. I had the original nexus 7 and it was light years ahead of that. I haven't tried the new nexus 7 so I don't know how it compares.

----------

I actually agree with this. I have a new Nexus 7, and while I like it, I would trade it today for a current gen iPad Mini. I've refused to buy the mini to this point because I want a retina version, but still, the Nexus 7 just disappointing me. And just to be clear, I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means. I prefer my Note 2 big time over an iPhone for example.

When I first got the Nexus 7 I thought it was very exciting. Finally the retina 7(ish) inch tablet Apple refuses to make. And sure enough, it was beautiful. I wasn't enthused about the tall thin form factor, the 3x4 form factor is one of the things I like about the iPad, but the screen is glorious. Also, I don't really care about the "ecosystem" card everyone plays. For my needs, both Android and Apple are excellent. So, I thought this N7 would be perfect rather than continue to wait for a retina mini.

But as I started using it I started to become more and more annoyed. In most apps it feels like the touch targets are too small. I hit my finger on something and it just doesn't register. I have to tap all around it until finally I accurately hit the target. That never seems to happen on my iPad (3rd generation). Its like my finger is just not accurate. Hard to explain. Also, annoyingly, the pinch zoom is not responsive. I pinch and for like the first maybe 1/4inch of pinch travel there is nothing, then it kicks in. Its like the N7 is spending a split second trying to determine if I'm pinching or not.

Another item is the sometimes sluggish behavior. I tap something and it doesn't respond, so I tap again, only to have it finally respond from the first tap and now my 2nd tap is actually landing on something on the followup screen. wtf?

If I had to summarize the problems I have with the N7 in one word it would be responsiveness. Its just not responsive. My iPad has none of these problems and I assume the mini doesn't either, and therefore, I'd choose a current gen mini over the N7.

Based on my experience with my mini, your assumption is correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.