Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
My wisdom teeth have been slowly coming in over the past 6 months or so and I believe I'm to the point where they are going to need to be removed. Three of the four teeth have broken through my gums while the fourth one is nowhere to be found (I'm assuming it's impacted). One of the teeth has come in fully with absolutely zero problems. The two top wisdom teeth are another story, however. One of them has only slightly broken through my gums and has been this way for the last several months with no growth (that I can feel or see). The other feels like it is mostly grown but I don't believe it's fully grown. I actually think one of the teeth has caused one of my lateral incisors to shift.

On to the questions:

-How long is the procedure?
-How painful is post-procedure?
-How long is recovery on average?
-How much more pain would I be in if I were to skip the general anesthetic and use only local anesthetic with nitrous oxide?
-Is there any point in leaving the tooth that has fully grown alone?

I realize these are probably questions best answered by my dentist but I'd like some answers from some other users who have had the surgery done...I've always been nervous about anything dentist related (even the sound of that damn drill is enough to set me on edge) and I would like to get an idea of what I should expect.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
It all depends on the situation. I had two wisdom teeth pulled with nothing but novocain shots in my gum because they had come in fully and they were easy to extract. Once the Novocain wore off, I felt minimal pain which I could treat with ibuprofen, and was fine by the next day. I still have my other two wisdom teeth because the dentist said they weren't causing any problems so why pull them if unnecessary.

On the other hand, my wife had all 4 of hers removed at once. They were impacted so she was under a general anesthetic. They basically have to smash the teeth to remove them. She was in agony for days afterwards, with lots of pain and swelling (as well as massive holes in her gums). Luckily the dentist prescribed some strong pain killers.

Bdawg

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Great experience...

Not sure if it's too late for this reply but I had 2 wisdom teeth out yesterday just in the dentist chair under a local. As mine were through (one top & one bottom), it was nothing like I had built it up to be.

It took longer to have the injections and wait for the numbness to kick in than for the extractions. Your dentist will apply pressure around the tooth for it to "pop" out so to speak, rather than pulling the tooth.

I applied ice yesterday and have no swelling. I am eating yoghurt and taking just basic nurofen for discomfort.

So glad I didn't go under general for this. It cost me only $170 for both teeth in Australia. I do have private health insurance and think it would have been around $450 without. Good luck to anyone having this done and relax!

Renzatic

Suspended
I'll add my two cents in.

It's nothing worth fretting about. I went under general to get three removed, and the worst thing about it was the anesthesia hangover afterwards. I didn't even need to take painkillers. If I started feeling a little sore, all I'd do to combat it was pack a couple wads of gauze into the back of my jaw and bite down on them. The pressure relieved just about all the pain.

Everyone has different experiences, so I can't say your operation will go as smooth as mine. But for me, it wasn't all that big of a deal.

As for your questions (which I realized were posted almost 2 months ago...hope you're still alive):

-How long is the procedure?

I wasn't awake for it, but I believe they said it took around half an hour to 45 minutes.

-How painful is post-procedure?

I never went through any post-procedure. The stitches dissolved themselves, so there was no need for a return surgery trip. The only thing I had to do was check up with the dentist a couple weeks later.

-How long is recovery on average?

Altogether I'd say about 2-3 weeks before it's well and truly healed. Your mouth is one of the fastest healing areas of your body, so it's not a terribly long time.

That said, I was able to resume life as usual after about a week.

-How much more pain would I be in if I were to skip the general anesthetic and use only local anesthetic with nitrous oxide?

No idea. I'd imagine it'd be uncomfortable, since the doctor really has to get up into your head to do the job. Given a choice, I'd rather go under general and just get it over with.

-Is there any point in leaving the tooth that has fully grown alone?

If it's fully grown, not pushing on any of your teeth, and doesn't look to cause any potential problems down the road, I would think it'd be alright to leave in.

Last edited:

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
3 non impacted done with local; not a problem. 1 badly impacted with local was not pleasant, but there are worse things. Painful swelling after, Advils and Ensure for a while.

Bring an ipod with loud music.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah, wisdom teeth, wisdom teeth, wisdom teeth. Those redundant reminders of our earlier dietary needs. And a perennial nuisance to those of us who suffer from the impacted variety (as I did).

I had impacted wisdom teeth, a condition which I lived with for over twenty years. At the time, dental technology being as it was, I was informed that I would require a full anaesthetic in order to have them removed (they were impacted badly), and decided against this.

The price I paid was an exceedingly painful eruption of throbbing, occasionally excruciating, pain (accompanied by migraines) on average once a year, sometimes about every 18 months. Of course, as is the nature of such things, it gradually got worse.

Anyway, a few years ago, my (new) dentist and I decided to deal with them, by calling in a dental surgeon and removing the damned things. That evening, I received a call requesting that I go abroad within 10 days for a few years to the Caucasus, where, of course, a little over a year later, I was laid low. The remedy was an emergency visit to a doctor, antibiotics and industrial strength painkillers, plus bed for a day or two.

Thus, (after a final agonising bout of excruciating pain) in April 2012, dental technology had advanced to the stage that my dentist was able to summon a surgeon who was able to remove the menaces (the two upper ones) under local anaesthetic, a procedure which barely took an hour.

I was somewhat tired for that day and the next, and had some medication to take for a few days, but was full of blissful relief after the crucifying agony of a fortnight earlier. Actually, I cannot recommend attending to it highly enough. I've been completely pain free since, and have been advised that it is doubtful my teeth shall require any further major attention.

DowdyFick

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
I went under general as this was the only way my insurance would pay for it. It needed to be classified as a "procedure." Two impacted, two not. I woke up to no pain, ate soft food for 4 days, took painkillers for 3, and went back to doc a week later and they were healing fine.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
not impacted

I had all four removed in 1997, since they were not impacted there was no issues afterward. I did not need painkillers, they healed very quickly. I have a very funny memory of the dentist and his interns (this was at a clinic where interns - probably not the right word) marveling at how my wisdom teeth roots were cone shaped. Yeah, whatever guys. :rolleyes:

For the OP, I hope it's painless for you. I can't give you answers since mine were not impacted.

rjkgr

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
i havent got mine out yet and i was suppose to last friday and my doctor had to go on vacation so i have it in a month. so scared!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.