osakakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:43 PM   #2
obsoletepower
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by osakakid View Post
Just curious does Apple manage to fix the dust invasion problem
for the new iMac? Until then I will stay with my little MBP
It's a little early for that. It's only been about a week since they've started arriving. It will take at least 6-8 months before an official conclusion is reached.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:10 PM   #3
toohectic
macrumors newbie

Is the "dust problem" in reference to dust getting trapped between the glass and the LCD panel? If so, it's solved since the new LCDs are laminated to the glass, and do not contain an air gap to collect dust in.

Funny thing though... my 2007 iMac has never had any dust get trapped between the glass and the LCD, and I consider my office to be pretty darn dusty at times. Maybe the models between 2007 and the new 2012 are more prone to dust issues.
toohectic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
snkrll
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsoletepower View Post
It's a little early for that. It's only been about a week since they've started arriving. It will take at least 6-8 months before an official conclusion is reached.
I think you are missing the consequences of one of the design features of the 2012 systems. The display and cover glass are laminated together. I.e. there is no gap between the two which reduces glare (double reflection on the inside), but also prevents dust from entering since there is no gap.

Last edited by snkrll; Dec 19, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
snkrll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:14 AM   #5
tonyep
macrumors member

I have a tiny speck of dust in my 27 inch and it sucks. I'm going to exchange mine at the apple store soon.
32GB iPad Mini Retina LTE | 64GB Gold 6
tonyep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:55 AM   #6
obsoletepower
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkrll View Post
I think you are missing the consequences of one of the design features of the 2012 systems. The display and cover glass are laminated together. I.e. there is no gap between the two which reduces glare (double reflection on the inside), but also prevents dust from entering since there is no gap.
I am well aware of the new design. However, the gap between the front glass and the display was never a big problem because you could simply pop-off the glass and just wipe it. The bigger problem was the cooling fans moving air across the screen assembly and fine dust particles entering the LCD assembly due to it not being properly sealed. To get rid of the dust would require a replacement of the LCD assembly.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac