Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Though it was written a few years ago, there was in interesting technology and hacker tool talked about in the book.

A certain electronic cuff than can be attached "around" a broadband cable can steal information from a computer that is in that network. We all know about hackers breaking into networks remotely or by stealing wi-fi information, but stealing information through the outside of a cable? Is that even possible?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Though it was written a few years ago, there was in interesting technology and hacker tool talked about in the book.

A certain electronic cuff than can be attached "around" a broadband cable can steal information from a computer that is in that network. We all know about hackers breaking into networks remotely or by stealing wi-fi information, but stealing information through the outside of a cable? Is that even possible?

Not possible. Wifi signal is one thing, but the only thing that can be sensed from the outside of a hard line is a VERY minuscule amount of electromagnetic radiation, identical to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by all electrical devices.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Not possible. Wifi signal is one thing, but the only thing that can be sensed from the outside of a hard line is a VERY minuscule amount of electromagnetic radiation, identical to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by all electrical devices.

That's exactly what I thought. Thanks.

I guess if such a hacker tool existed it would kind of mess things up. It certainly makes for an interesting concept.:D

I looked at the presentations by Johnny Long, master hacker, and while there are a lot of clever things out there, I guess reading and converting electromagnetic radiation from outside of a cable with a cuff device into something useful falls into the realm of the impossible.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
If the cable's shielding is cut before the cuff is installed, it's possible. Fiber also can be hacked, but it's more difficult and more prone to detection because it requires a tap.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I haven't seen the movie. But it is possible to hack into a network directly from coaxial signal where the modem is on the same node. In certain cases you might need to be on the exact tap or cable feed if any sort of filters or certain types of amps are involved. You would need the right equipment and probably access to the provider. Difficulty would be high, but I imagine an expert hacker can accomplish this.

Again, I haven't seen the movie. So if your talking about just putting a device around a cable vs direct access to the copper itself. I would say no it's not possible, at least not yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.