Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ik0221

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
I have a relatively good solution, for now, if anybody cares to know.

I'm using a combination of:
*Insomnia (for persistant WiFi connection)
*InfinityTask (to prevent idle sleep)
*Flex (Once you have this, download springboard patches "Backgrounding Apps Never Automatically Die" and "Sleep Without Locking"[optional])

This combination seems to make a suitable substitute for Backgrounder. Also, make sure to have "KillBackground" installed because you'll want to clear background apps often to save ram.

It actually works!:D

SternFanNetwork

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
Help

*Flex (Once you have this, download springboard patches "Backgrounding Apps Never Automatically Die" and "Sleep Without Locking"[optional])

This combination seems to make a suitable substitute for Backgrounder. Also, make sure to have "KillBackground" installed because you'll want to clear background apps often to save ram.

Ok So Will This Work On A Game Such As Simpsons Tapped Out Which Worked On Backgrounder.

iPad 2
iOS 6.1.2

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Doesn't Skype do that by default using push notifications etc? I always assumed it did.

Supposedly but I find it very flakey and unreliable. Seems others on the forum do - apparently it has some weird custom notification thing instead of using Apples which means it doesn't work as well as it should do.

imaqtpa2t

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
XPOD For music in the back ground I hate Itunes

I use XPOD For my music it does not run in the back ground, I have always used backgrounder but since the communists at Apple wont allow multitasking and I hate Itunes. I have no way to listen to my own mp3s and music. I too would pay for backgrounder. It always worked perfectly until the new ios and jailbreak. I tried to install backgrounder anyway and it put phone in safe mode instantly. Ipone 4 IOS 6.1.2 Jailbroken Please help there has to be a coder out there that can figure this out and make some money.

petepango

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Flex patch worked for me. Synergy is now working properly. Thanks for posting!!

Do you know if this patch has an affect on battery drain? Just wondering if it has the side affect of letting all apps keep running in the background that might drain your battery 9like GPS apps). Anyone know?

jangovandango

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
For the OP mainly: music controls pro 6 enables background audio/video in apps that do not usually accept. E.g. YouTube. Give it a try maybe.

Can anyone confirm whether the mentioned options (flex etc) would work with itransmission3?
Torrents are pointless if not backgroundable.

Lepy

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
After looking around for a while, there seems to be a solid alternative that was released.

Just look up Music Controls Pro and get the iOS 6 version (obviously).
The lame thing is that it costs, but there's a 5 day trial. But yeah, I'm not sure if shelling out $5-6 is worth it.

I haven't tried it myself, so I'm not sure of the validity.

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/18medz/any_app_like_backgrounder_that_works_on_ios_6/

rallyranger

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
need background program to run camera video

I am looking for a backgrounder that will record video and let you use another program in the fore ground, I used to have this using backgrounder but author as you know did not upgrade or will not support it. that program worked very well on my I pad 2 up to IOS 5.1
so what is working now I was confused looking through all the posts. Please help

----------

will this work for the camera taking video in the background while having a gps program in foreground? will you try it and let me know I have I Pad 2 with Ios6
i have used backgrounder in the past and this worked with the last working version with no issues.

DukeNova

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013

Where do you download the springboard patches from? I searched in Cydia and looked in Flex and can find where to upload a tweak but not where to download one.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Where do you download the springboard patches from? I searched in Cydia and looked in Flex and can find where to upload a tweak but not where to download one.

The cloud icon in flex. The patch didn't work for me. Camera, settings, google now, maps, all would close after 10mins.

So far, infinitytask seems to be doing the job though.

atlantis1975

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
Bug fix for backgrounder on iOS 5.x

I am not a programmer but I have found a workaround for the problem that exists in Backgrounder on iOS 5.x on iPhones that would be helpful for people who, like me, don't have the level of knowledge to modify the source files and recompile the project.
I find Backgrounder EXTREMELY useful. A major problem has been the issue that exists when the home button is pressed and the way the system does not subsequently show the Springboard. Instead, you have an usual hybrid situation where the last app now shows on the main screen [and allows the user to interact with it normally] but the status bar and home button now behave as if you are on Spotlight [first page of Springboard]. As the Springboard is effectively inaccessible it limits the usefulness of Backgrounder as you have no way of starting new apps [unless you use something like SBSettings and its Dock feature to start your favourite apps, or to kill running apps which then returns you to the Springboard] - neither of which is particularly helpful. A video explanation of the bug is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzpxMNrmPXM
I have found that installing an app called HomePage which is in the default cydia repository fixes this problem. I don't have the level of knowledge to know why it works but I have found that 99% of the time it does successfully return you to the Springboard after pressing the home button. The badge icons on the Springboard show that Backgrounder still has the apps running in the background.
Homepage is available here:
http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=38405
I think a lot of people would find this workaround helpful. Ideally it would be great if the Backgrounder package could be updated to incorporate the Homepage patch, although I know that ashikase says they are no longer maintaining the package. Alternatively if the page here:
http://cydia.saurik.com/package/backgrounder
could be updated with instructions that people could install Homepage as a patch with Backgrounder this may be a simpler approach.
Alternatively it looks as if ashikase did corroborate with devbug(@devbug0) in patching Backgrounder to work with iOS 5.x. Perhaps devbug would be willing to liaise with ashikase to do the above? I have contacted devbug via their Github page to ask if this would be something that they would be interested in doing.
WHAT WOULD BE GREAT IS A JOINT COLLABERATION IN GETTING BACKGROUNDER TO WORK ON iOS6. I am stuck on iOS 5.1.1 as I do not want to lose the functionality that backgrounder provides for iOS. While InfinityTask does extend apps to run past the 600s limit set by Apple – the apps are still aware that the user has backgrounded the app and so this is NOT A TRUE backgrounder alternative.
The developers page is here:
https://github.com/ashikase/Backgrounder

People have mentioned in this forum that an app called Music Control Pro 6.x may be an alternative to Backgrounder on iOS6.
Does anyone know if this app allows multitasking for non music/video apps? Backgrounder appears to work by preventing running apps from realizing that they are being backgrounded - does MCP6.x app work in the same way? It is important that the app continue to run but NOT realize that it is in the background and therefore does not execute any SPECIFIC backgrounding code prior to being pushed to the background. I also do not want the backgrounded app to be quit after the standard 600s period specificied by Apple.
On an unjailbroken iOS if an app realizes it is being backgrounded it executes specific code prior to going into the background e.g. to tidy memory etc. I use certain apps on my iphone which have chat room functions and if the home button is pressed it will logout of the chat room - which I do not want it to do. Backgrounder on iOS 5.x allows the app to continue running without executing any code specific to backgrounding and therefore allows me to remain logged in. Does MCP6.x app provide this same functionality for iOS 6.1.2?

tannergates

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2013
Music Control Pro 6.x WORKS!

$5.99 was worth it. After an install, configure and respring I can listen to videos on homescreen ,in app, or locked. I registered just to confirm that because I miss Backgrounder too.

Edit I'm using Ipod 5G ios 6.01

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
I am not a programmer but I have found a workaround for the problem that exists in Backgrounder on iOS 5.x on iPhones that would be helpful for people who, like me, don't have the level of knowledge to modify the source files and recompile the project.
I find Backgrounder EXTREMELY useful. A major problem has been the issue that exists when the home button is pressed and the way the system does not subsequently show the Springboard. Instead, you have an usual hybrid situation where the last app now shows on the main screen [and allows the user to interact with it normally] but the status bar and home button now behave as if you are on Spotlight [first page of Springboard]. As the Springboard is effectively inaccessible it limits the usefulness of Backgrounder as you have no way of starting new apps [unless you use something like SBSettings and its Dock feature to start your favourite apps, or to kill running apps which then returns you to the Springboard] - neither of which is particularly helpful. A video explanation of the bug is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzpxMNrmPXM
I have found that installing an app called HomePage which is in the default cydia repository fixes this problem. I don't have the level of knowledge to know why it works but I have found that 99% of the time it does successfully return you to the Springboard after pressing the home button. The badge icons on the Springboard show that Backgrounder still has the apps running in the background.
Homepage is available here:
http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=38405
I think a lot of people would find this workaround helpful. Ideally it would be great if the Backgrounder package could be updated to incorporate the Homepage patch, although I know that ashikase says they are no longer maintaining the package. Alternatively if the page here:
http://cydia.saurik.com/package/backgrounder
could be updated with instructions that people could install Homepage as a patch with Backgrounder this may be a simpler approach.
Alternatively it looks as if ashikase did corroborate with devbug(@devbug0) in patching Backgrounder to work with iOS 5.x. Perhaps devbug would be willing to liaise with ashikase to do the above? I have contacted devbug via their Github page to ask if this would be something that they would be interested in doing.
WHAT WOULD BE GREAT IS A JOINT COLLABERATION IN GETTING BACKGROUNDER TO WORK ON iOS6. I am stuck on iOS 5.1.1 as I do not want to lose the functionality that backgrounder provides for iOS. While InfinityTask does extend apps to run past the 600s limit set by Apple – the apps are still aware that the user has backgrounded the app and so this is NOT A TRUE backgrounder alternative.
The developers page is here:
https://github.com/ashikase/Backgrounder

People have mentioned in this forum that an app called Music Control Pro 6.x may be an alternative to Backgrounder on iOS6.
Does anyone know if this app allows multitasking for non music/video apps? Backgrounder appears to work by preventing running apps from realizing that they are being backgrounded - does MCP6.x app work in the same way? It is important that the app continue to run but NOT realize that it is in the background and therefore does not execute any SPECIFIC backgrounding code prior to being pushed to the background. I also do not want the backgrounded app to be quit after the standard 600s period specificied by Apple.
On an unjailbroken iOS if an app realizes it is being backgrounded it executes specific code prior to going into the background e.g. to tidy memory etc. I use certain apps on my iphone which have chat room functions and if the home button is pressed it will logout of the chat room - which I do not want it to do. Backgrounder on iOS 5.x allows the app to continue running without executing any code specific to backgrounding and therefore allows me to remain logged in. Does MCP6.x app provide this same functionality for iOS 6.1.2?

Hopefully your digging into Backgrounder and getting a new dev can show results. I miss it. :(

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
Solution? Sell your iOS 6 device and buy another one that'a still on 5.1.1. That's what I did and couldn't be happier. I can use Backgrounder AND I get to use the nicer old App Store and YouTube apps. Plus most jailbreak tweaks are compatible with 5.

Though I agree it would be good to have a developer working on getting backgrounder to work with the newer versions, for the future when iOS 5 stops being compatible with most apps. It's probably the best jailbreak mod around. Turns your iphone into a fully fledged multitasking PC. I use it when I play Bobba so that it doesn't disconnect when I go to another app, and for itransmission torrents, as well as other apps that need to download stuff in the background like vShare.

Jailbreak + Backgrounder are the reasons I will never switch to Android. You get pretty much everything you can get with Android, except 10x smoother, more stable and fluid, and the super clean, simple interface of iOS, on a jailbroken iPhone.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
solution? Sell your ios 6 device and buy another one that'a still on 5.1.1. That's what i did and couldn't be happier. I can use backgrounder and i get to use the nicer old app store and youtube apps. Plus most jailbreak tweaks are compatible with 5.

Though i agree it would be good to have a developer working on getting backgrounder to work with the newer versions, for the future when ios 5 stops being compatible with most apps. It's probably the best jailbreak mod around. Turns your iphone into a fully fledged multitasking pc. I use it when i play bobba so that it doesn't disconnect when i go to another app, and for itransmission torrents, as well as other apps that need to download stuff in the background like vshare.

Jailbreak + backgrounder are the reasons i will never switch to android. You get pretty much everything you can get with android, except 10x smoother, more stable and fluid, and the super clean, simple interface of ios, on a jailbroken iphone.

Pirate!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Awesome! I always enjoy your articles and I've been hoping to see an in depth review of InfinityTask. Every site that has an "article" about it is really just a quick features write up. They don't actually go into any depth how it does, or does not, work with various apps. Please post here when you're done writing the comparison!

A bit late, I know, but better late than never: along with the new "Background Manager", I've also tested InfinityTask, mainly to find out whether it helps fixing the problems of Background Manager (it, at least when it comes to TV output in suspended mode, can't). See my very thorough Background Manager-writeups at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1586831/

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
A bit late, I know, but better late than never: along with the new "Background Manager", I've also tested InfinityTask, mainly to find out whether it helps fixing the problems of Background Manager (it, at least when it comes to TV output in suspended mode, can't). See my very thorough Background Manager-writeups at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1586831/

Awesome! I love reading your stuff. Thanks for quoting me. I prolly would have missed this. Much appreciated!

TheHelper

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
Hello I'm new
I have been searching for a backgrounder alternative ever since jailbreak for ios6 came out. As there seems to be nothing existing, i did a little research and then started doing random searches on my iPhone. Luck was on my side as i found exactly what i was looking for.

This guide will walk you through a manual process to update configuration files using my particular example but i am going to make an assumption that this will also apply for other apps as well. I recommend backing up your iphone if you are not comfortable with any of the steps before beginning.

First, there are some prerequisites:
- iPhone (this should apply for any iPhone model)
- iOS 6 (this should apply for any sub version)
- jailbroken phone using Evasi0n
- iFile (search on cydia)

Once you have the prerequisites in place, its time to begin.
For my particular example, i play a game called Kingdom Conquest. This is an online game with active participation and communication with your online mates. But this game can take ages to load and when battling in game, time is of the essence, it is difficult to switch between applications knowing you have to reload the game every time you go back to it.

First, you need to locate the game on your iPhone. Launch iFile and use the search bar (may be a paid option) to find the application you are looking for. For my case, i searched for "kingdom". A long list of files should display. Open them up one by one until you find the location of the application you are looking for. This should be inside /var/mobile/Applications/[long string id]/[Application Name]. I will refer to this location as the application directory.

Inside the application directory, scroll down until you find the file Info.plist. Open this file and put the file in edit mode. Use the search bar to find the parameter, "UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend". There will be a key right below that will be set to true. Change this parameter to "False" and save the file. Example below.

That is it. Make sure the application is not running and give it a try. When switching between applications, it should stay running in the background.

Note: Using the home button to open another application will stop the application from running in the background.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Oh I'm sorry for no pics I put pics but they are not there so I'm sorry once again.

Thanks for all your work posting this, but there's no need. There's a new tweak in Cydia called Background Manager that replaces Backgrounder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.