Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: How often should a new iPhone be introduced?
Twice a year (every six months) 32 15.17%
About every nine months 22 10.43%
Once per year 132 62.56%
About every 18 months 25 11.85%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:02 PM   #76
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
Some minor spec upgrades? Dude...
Yea. faster chip, better camera, basic stuff. They didn't even have the new design.
The iPad 3 is clearly completely outdated and no longer works after this.
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:36 PM   #77
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Yea. faster chip, better camera, basic stuff. They didn't even have the new design.
The iPad 3 is clearly completely outdated and no longer works after this.
I know you're trying to be funny with your last remark, but it just kind of falls short when you say the spec updates were minor and say what you said about the design not being changed.

You just keep on believing there is pretty much no difference between the 3 and the 4 due to lack of design change
hafr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:51 PM   #78
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
I know you're trying to be funny with your last remark, but it just kind of falls short when you say the spec updates were minor and say what you said about the design not being changed.

You just keep on believing there is pretty much no difference between the 3 and the 4 due to lack of design change
I'm sorry, forgot that Apple did in fact completely change the design...by using a Lightning connector.

If this was the iPhone, it would have been basically a 'S' version. Faster chip, better camera, etc.

A6X chip
FaceTime HD camera
Lightning connector
Improved LTE and Wi-Fi

Did I miss anything?

iPad 2 to iPad 3 was the big jump. There's no reason for any ordinary person to upgrade their iPad 3 to the iPad 4. The differences aren't worth the money unless you just want the "latest and greatest". In fact basically every site that reviewed the iPad 4 (iMore, MacWorld, Wired, Gizmodo) (just did a quick Google search).
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:12 AM   #79
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
I'm sorry, forgot that Apple did in fact completely change the design...by using a Lightning connector.
What are you on about? Have I even come close to saying they changed the design? What I'm saying the lack of change in design is not the least bit relevant.

Quote:
If this was the iPhone, it would have been basically a 'S' version. Faster chip, better camera, etc.

A6X chip
FaceTime HD camera
Lightning connector
Improved LTE and Wi-Fi

Did I miss anything?
It depends, are you still claiming these are "minor spec bumps"? Then yes, you're still missing the point.

But if you acknowledge the difference in having a chip that doubles the performance, the switch to an HD FaceTime camera and international 4G-support (instead of having to pay fines for false advertising), then no. But in that case, you've changed your opinion.

Quote:
iPad 2 to iPad 3 was the big jump.
Double the RAM and retina display. Performance wise, they're scoring about the same. The iPad 4 on the other hand absolutely crushes the 2 and 3 by scoring over twice as high in Geekbench (around 750 for both 2 and 3 vs. over 1700 for 4). It's fantastic that you're calling 2->3 a big jump and 3->4 a small spec bump... Or ironic. Whatever.
hafr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2014, 03:53 PM   #80
silversurfer91
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Personally, I don't like the "s" upgrades. I'd rather wait a few more months and get an iPhone that is radically different from its predecessor.
silversurfer91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:08 PM   #81
dfausty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: You are here [*]
.
__________________
Tech Geek Apple Freak Freelance Curmudgeon Runs With Scissors

Last edited by dfausty; Aug 6, 2014 at 01:37 PM.
dfausty is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:14 PM   #82
silversurfer91
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfausty View Post
The "S" models have brought the refined experience and additional functionality...

3GS
Voice control
Digital compass
Nike+
Volume controls on earphones

4S
GLONASS support
Siri voice assistant

5S
TouchID
I realize this. I'm just saying that I would rather see significant overhauls of the iPhone instead of introducing models with "refinments". They are essentially releasing a "new" iPhone every 2 years.
silversurfer91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:46 PM   #83
dfausty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: You are here [*]
...
__________________
Tech Geek Apple Freak Freelance Curmudgeon Runs With Scissors

Last edited by dfausty; Aug 6, 2014 at 01:37 PM.
dfausty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:56 PM   #84
CPx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
They need to keep the buzz going so it cannot be any less frequent than once a year. I also don't think it needs to be any more frequent than once a year, because that would be crazy. So my answer is once a year.
CPx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:55 PM   #85
bushman4
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Once per year. However be sure to jam as many bells and whistles, patents they've won into the iPhone
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 01:43 PM   #86
nburwell
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL
Once a year really works best. I think every six months is a bit too much.
nburwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:08 PM   #87
imanidiot
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Once a week, because I'm so into phones and I'm stupid and I'm easily bored. Com'on Apple, innovate! You haven't radically overhauled anything since last month! Waaaaa! Samsung owns you. Waaaa! Your stuff is so stale! Waaaaa!

"Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now, entertain us"

etc., etc., etc.
imanidiot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:41 PM   #88
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040
 
The Doctor11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA
Every year just works great.
__________________
iPhone 6, iPad 3rd gen, Apple TV, Airport Express
Ebola?! Kiss your ass good bye!!!
Please subscribe to me on YouTube
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple May Introduce 8GB iPhone 5s and Lower-Cost iMacs at WWDC MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 112 Jun 16, 2014 08:49 PM
Should Apple introduce iOS7 first? moonman239 iOS 7 9 Jun 10, 2013 09:17 AM
Why, Why, Why doesn't Apple introduce more services? ASGR Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 19 May 21, 2013 11:07 PM
Everything Apple Needs to Introduce at WWDC to Appease the Internet Michaelgtrusa Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 1 May 17, 2013 05:12 AM
Apple to Drop iPhone 3GS, Introduce 8 GB iPhone 4S Next Week? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 137 Sep 14, 2012 12:12 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC