Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomguyishere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Hey guys just wondering what any of you with/know somebody with a a degree in International Studies are doing with it.

That is currently my major in college because I enjoy the "world-wide" aspect of it.

Any suggestions as to a minor and/or future career paths?

Thanks.

wrosie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
California
Two suggestions...

1. Your professors in your major should be able to give you info.

2. Google search: What can I do with a degree in international studies? You'll find some resources.

Good luck!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
1. Your professors in your major should be able to give you info.

2. Google search: What can I do with a degree in international studies? You'll find some resources.

Good luck!
Haha nice!

OP, try googling "spy" and I think you found your role.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Honestly I'd be wary of any degree where you can't immediately know what kind of field you will be working in.

College is a pricey investment, make it count!

wrosie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
California
Honestly I'd be wary of any degree where you can't immediately know what kind of field you will be working in.

College is a pricey investment, make it count!

Pricey, yes.

As for careers, there are so many new ones these days that you might not know that certain majors lead to them. That's why it's important to talk with professors and do your homework online. The career services offices at colleges and universities can also help.

randomguyishere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I have done my share of research in the past few months, and I like the sound of the major for sure.

I'm just curious as to what careers you guys have that involve that major.

I'm only a freshman, so my graduation plan calls for mostly core classes (i.e political science, geography, fine arts credit, English I and II, etc), so many of my professors are not educated in the International Studies area.

However, after being almost finished with my first semester, I can definitely say that my World Geography class is the closest class relating to my major. More importantly, that class is my favorite because of the variety of things we learn about other regions and the inhabiting people. I am passing that class with a solid "A."

I have stopped by my Career Center and they basically say the things as most websites (diplomat, international lawyer, FBI/CIA, border patrol, etc.).

Not to sound picky, but I am looking for a career that can give me my own office, require a "business casual" dress code, and provides a decent salary.

Thanks for all of the input from everyone so far - keep it coming! :rolleyes:

----------

As for careers, there are so many new ones these days that you might not know that certain majors lead to them.

That's exactly what my career advisor told me. Sort of scary, but it makes perfect sense.

randomguyishere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Perhaps a little more research is in order. Check this out: http://www.career.uno.edu/majors/International Studies.pdf

And that's it for me on this subject. btw, "me" = college admissions professional with 25+ years of experience. One of the most interesting parts of what I do is helping students find the right information at the right time.

I literally was looking at this 30 minutes ago.. It's very helpful, thanks!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Perhaps a little more research is in order. Check this out: http://www.career.uno.edu/majors/International Studies.pdf

And that's it for me on this subject. btw, "me" = college admissions professional with 25+ years of experience. One of the most interesting parts of what I do is helping students find the right information at the right time.

Very cool & direct to the point!

TS, enjoy College and do a degree you like, but remember that you will most likely need to continue to another type of master,phD or graduate school afterwards, so plan ahead the required courses for what you want to do later grad years, you can't get ahead on jobs if you only do an undergrad degree. That is what I did, I Majored in Biology to get my courses for Med school + extras & another Major in Anthropology because I though it was very interesting stuff to study. At the end, I got into Med school and studied what I wanted on college. My wallet is at increasing negative #'s $ each day that passes for now though. GL!

May 8, 2008
You're going to need a Masters unless you've got the money to intern in DC for two or three summers while in undergrad to build the connections. I graduated with a couple of people who majored in a similar area and the only ones working are the ones that had the money to intern at DOS or various think tanks for two or three summers.

Though you may be able to get a very low level job with a contractor in the NOVA/ DC area with just a BA, you won't be making enough to survive unless you've got two or three roommates and have a two hour commute both ways, every day.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
The people I know that do international work majored in some other area.

1) They may speak a couple languages
2) They may have studied finance or marketing

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
If you want to do international stuff, you ought to take at least an introduction to cultural anthropology. You'll do much better internationally if you've had some training in how to understand other cultures.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I know a lot of people in the field. Double major with a language and that could help. The people I know in this field love it but beware the pay is notoriously low. I live by a couple of language schools so there are more than a few who work in that field with international studies/international relations/translation and interpretation degrees. Outside of my area, there's nothing like that until you are in the major cities. Most I know have a master's and more than half are born outside of USA but found their bilingual skills were more important that their degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.