Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talevizos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Does anyone remember the amazing Yamaha VSS-30 keyboard? It was sold about 25 years ago, basically as a toy, but it's unbelievably fun. You can sample any sound and do all sorts of manipulations to it. Plus, you can overlay other sounds over your sampled sound, over and over, to create really crazy sounds. INSANE sounds.

Fast forward to the present, and I think there has to be a software or an app that would allow me to recapture that kind of capability on my Mac.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how an audio novice can do that sort of stuff on the Mac?

By the way, here's what Jonsi of Sigur Ros said about the Yamaha keyboard: "It's an amazing keyboard. i just use the sampler, but its amazing what you can do, just beautiful. its the best instrument i've had since the guitar. After you play the guitar for a while and it becomes your main instrument, it becomes part of you because you know exactly how it works and just play it without thinking. It's kind of the same with this small keyboard - it's unbelievably simple. You just sample something and there's an effect where you can reverse the sample and make a u-turn, but it's all really simple. It's my instrument beside the guitar. i really, really love it."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.