Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmbrown91

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Northampton, UK
I just bought a new i5 Mac Mini on eBay brand new for £359, also ordered the wireless trackpad and keyboard which I managed to get for under £90 combined which isn't too bad.

I wouldn't worry about iLife, I believe you can download them from the Mac App Store for free when you buy a new Mac?

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
Seems slow

I just brought home my refurb 2012 i7 4 GB mini. My stuff was migrated over at the store. It seems very slow booting. I had to connect a monitor using HDMI, a wireless/USB mouse, but couldn't get the keyboard to work as I had to use a USB/PS2 adapter. So I never got past the login screen, but still it took what seemed like a long time to boot up. Is that something that might speed up once I have the proper hardware (ordered) connected?

If a new mini is really going to come, I hope it's SOON...

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I just brought home my refurb 2012 i7 4 GB mini. My stuff was migrated over at the store. It seems very slow booting. I had to connect a monitor using HDMI, a wireless/USB mouse, but couldn't get the keyboard to work as I had to use a USB/PS2 adapter. So I never got past the login screen, but still it took what seemed like a long time to boot up. Is that something that might speed up once I have the proper hardware (ordered) connected?

I assume you are using a HDD to boot up? If so that is really the limitation that makes the computer slow compared to other macs that are flash based. If you put an SSD in your computer, it should only take around 10 seconds to boot and feel much more responsive.

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
I assume you are using a HDD to boot up? If so that is really the limitation that makes the computer slow compared to other macs that are flash based. If you put an SSD in your computer, it should only take around 10 seconds to boot and feel much more responsive.

All the more reason to keep watching the 14 day return period. IF there really is a silent update to the Mini along with the iMac update that MIGHT happen next week, I'll just start fresh. I've ordered a wireless Apple keyboard, a Blu-Ray burner, a magic mouse, etc. from OWC and those will work with the new one just as well. I really thought the HDD would be fast enough, but it's not much faster than this old PPC booting off Firewire. Hmph.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I really thought the HDD would be fast enough, but it's not much faster than this old PPC booting off Firewire. Hmph.

A 5400rpm HDD is just plain slow. Especially if you've used an SSD based system... ;)

----------

So I ordered a refurb i7 mini the morning of WWDC for in-store pickup and brought it home a couple days ago.

Sat down last night to install the OWC data doubler and Crucial m500 SSD and find out I'm one of Lucky Ones with the stock drive installed in the upper bay.

Any ideas how common that is? In talking to OWC it sounded pretty rare.

So no joy on doing the upgrade; I ordered the alternate kit and am returning this one (more cost effective per the OWC rep than ordering the parts difference).

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California
Another MacMini on it's way...

Just ordered the mini w/CPU upgrade. Expect delivery the day before my country sends up fireworks.

I certainly have "seen the light" (in more ways then one) this holiday!

SuperPolli

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2013
New Jersey
Mine Got Here Last Monday!

My new Mac Mini arrived last Monday, June 23, 2014. It replaced my old Mid 2011 Mac Mini. That Mac Mini was broken last summer when I damaged the IR port while replacing the hard drive. The Mac Mini slowly got worse as time went on. So I replaced it. The specs of the new Mac Mini are:
  • Late 2012
  • 1 TB Apple Fusion Drive
  • Intel i7 Quad Core Processor
  • 16 GB RAM

This machine is absolutely wonderful.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

I really urge you to use the free application EtreCheck and yes it to find the services that are running and annually delete those services that are not compatible with your version of OS X. This should help your situation.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I just picked up an Open Box Mac Mini at Best Buy. It's the i7 with 1TB version. The salesman told me they had open box computers 1/2 off so after the 50% off the open box price I picked it up for $401 after taxes. I wish I would have bought the other one that was on the shelf but when I went back it was already gone, and I found out that the Mac's weren't supposed to be a part of that sale. So I can't complain. I have spent all of about 5 minutes on it as I left the next day to go back out of town for work.

Victor

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Just ordered a refurbished mini 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with OS X Server, 8GB RAM, 2x1TB drives. I'll be swapping one drive with a 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro that I have hanging around. Or is that 840 wasted in a mini as I also have a 120G PNY SSD9SC120GCDA I could use.

Primarily to be used initially for an iTunes server (library on large external USB3 drive), file storage, maybe it will drive a large TV (1080p HD capable), TM backups...

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Just ordered a refurbished mini 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with OS X Server, 8GB RAM, 2x1TB drives. I'll be swapping one drive with a 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro that I have hanging around. Or is that 840 wasted in a mini as I also have a 120G PNY SSD9SC120GCDA I could use.

Primarily to be used initially for an iTunes server (library on large external USB3 drive), file storage, maybe it will drive a large TV (1080p HD capable), TM backups...

Go with the Samsung!

benvh

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Just ordered my Mac Mini today. 2.3GHz, 1TB Fusion Drive, 4GB RAM (planning to upgrade to 8 or 16GB when I receive it).

My MBP (2.16 GHz C2D) that I got in Feb 2007 has finally had it. Twice now the graphics have gone nuts and it refused to boot past the Apple logo which was obscured with crazy patterns covering the screen. Got it working both times, but it's just a matter of time before it doesn't wake up again.

Was deciding between the Mac Mini, iMac 27" and Macbook Pro. Even though an update could be coming soon, this machine should do all I need it to do and the cost fit my budget much better. I also work from home so I have a monitor I can use immediately.

I also ordered the wired Apple keyboard, Magic Mouse and Applecare. Good price on the Applecare from B&H plus free shipping and no sales tax is always a bonus.

Since I do like to use my laptop on the couch, an iPad is also in my future. Yet another reason I decided to go with the cheaper Mac Mini. Will most likely wait till the next update, or until my laptop finally dies for good.

Can't wait to get going on a much, much faster machine and the newest OS (laptop is too old for Mavericks).

Ben

garbage-barge

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2014
I ordered an Open-Box i7 Mini yesterday during the Best Buy sale. Since I have fifteen days to return it, I'm going to wait 'til at least Tuesday and see if anything else leaks about a 2014 refresh.

I'm a little bummed that I have to wait even longer, but it always pays to be on the "right" side of the apple upgrade cycle.... so long as it's not a radically different beast

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
My order is en route from China. I bought the 2.6 i7 Mini….. I have a feeling I will end up keeping it and not worrying anymore about all this upgrade non sense. The 2012 mini is still a beast, plus i feel like 85% sure they will solder the ram and make it totally user unfriendly….and I don't wanna deal with that or the cost of upgrading through apple.

My monitors, ram, keyboard, etc are all being delivered today….dont wanna deal with returning all of that too.

garbage-barge

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2014
Want to hear my tale of crazy indecisiveness? In addition to my open-box 2.3ghz i7 mini, I snagged a 2.6ghz i7 refurb today.

The 2.3 goes back to Best Buy, the 2.6ghz sticks around-- unless it somehow gets trumped by a new mini during the return window.

I've got to admit, reading this forum for the last few days is burning a hole in my wallet.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Want to hear my tale of crazy indecisiveness? In addition to my open-box 2.3ghz i7 mini, I snagged a 2.6ghz i7 refurb today.

The 2.3 goes back to Best Buy, the 2.6ghz sticks around-- unless it somehow gets trumped by a new mini during the return window.

I've got to admit, reading this forum for the last few days is burning a hole in my wallet.

What were the specs and price of the refurb? P.S. You'll definitely like it better than the 2.3.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
4gb RAM, 1TB HDD. I already have 16gb RAM and an SSD on my way...

Then you are so good to go! Even if this mythological mini gets released soon.....I swear it's going to be a machine a lot of people will hate because I really believe its going to be un-upgradeable. And the processor upgrades will be so minuscule people might not even notice.

My mini from China can't get here soon enough.... I'm typing this up on my iPad with my new Wireless keyboard that came from Amazon today.

I have my RAM, monitors, dual monitor stand, keyboard, trackpad and all the wires. Now I just need MY MINI!!!!! ahhhhhhh!

garbage-barge

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2014
Then you are so good to go! Even if this mythological mini gets released soon.....I swear it's going to be a machine a lot of people will hate because I really believe its going to be un-upgradeable. And the processor upgrades will be so minuscule people might not even notice.

Yeah, I worked my way through a whole knot of logical gymnastics since the "leak" yesterday. I even briefly considered buying a MPB. But that's sort of what put me back in the 2012 mini camp. If the flagship rMBPs aren't upgradable, why would a redesigned mini be?

I'd like to use my mini for multi-track audio recording in Logic. I came back around to "what's the cheapest quad-core option that I can put 16gb ram into?" I'd have to shell out over two grand to get that in a MBP, and not much cheaper if I went the iMac route.

I think the price difference between my 2.3 and my 2.6 was less than $100. Sure it's a fairly tiny bump in speed, but if my interest is future-proofing, seems like a good choice.

Honestly the most reasonable choice would have been to wait and see what the 2014 update is-- but I'm so whipped up into a flurry of consumerism that I just had to buy something, y'know...

Anyhow, I like the 2012 Mini form factor. Used the hell out of a base 2011 Mini at my old job-- did a lot of FCP and video streaming.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Yeah, I worked my way through a whole knot of logical gymnastics since the "leak" yesterday. I even briefly considered buying a MPB. But that's sort of what put me back in the 2012 mini camp. If the flagship rMBPs aren't upgradable, why would a redesigned mini be?

I'd like to use my mini for multi-track audio recording in Logic. I came back around to "what's the cheapest quad-core option that I can put 16gb ram into?" I'd have to shell out over two grand to get that in a MBP, and not much cheaper if I went the iMac route.

I think the price difference between my 2.3 and my 2.6 was less than $100. Sure it's a fairly tiny bump in speed, but if my interest is future-proofing, seems like a good choice.

Honestly the most reasonable choice would have been to wait and see what the 2014 update is-- but I'm so whipped up into a flurry of consumerism that I just had to buy something, y'know...

Anyhow, I like the 2012 Mini form factor. Used the hell out of a base 2011 Mini at my old job-- did a lot of FCP and video streaming.

Lol yea I understand. This is basically how my mind has been for a few weeks and it got worse when I started posting on here, haha.

I just want it to get here so I can hook it all up. I've been so impatient since I ordered it. Fedex is saying Monday, but I am holding out all hope that it comes a day early (1 business day) and comes Friday. It shipped EARLY this morning and I have 2-3 day shipping so I can't figure why it wouldn't come Friday.

Usually shipments from China are QUICK!

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Well update, holy crap.... I wake up to go to work and check my shipping on my mini and from last night (was still on it's way from Hong Kong) it made it's way into Tennessee and is now at the destination sort facility. (However still says estimated delivery for Monday...). I imagine this thing is coming TOMORROW at the latest!

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
What a turn of events! lol They attempted to deliver THIS MORNING! Well ahead of my estimated delivery of next Monday. Of course, I was stuck at work and wasn't home to sign. Luckily I can go pick it up tonight between 5 and 7! Stoked!

Mac Mini here I come! Could care less about all this rumor new mini crap!

mgmt-drone

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2014
Here and there
Thought about waiting to see if a new one would get released, but decided I've waited long enough. Ordered a 2.6 i7 Mini with 8GB of RAM, which should be here in time for my days off next week. Now the wait begins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.