Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1
yesdnyl
macrumors newbie

Question microsoft based school. handouts for class are not converting properly to my macbook

The university i attend is microsoft based, and i have a macbook. when i try to save worksheets or handouts from class, most of the content is lost or not converting to mac... i'm still new with my macbook, so any suggestions, advice, or tips would be GREATLY apperciated! should i just download word to my mac??

Thanks!
yesdnyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I would imagine the school has a discount for microsoft word.. unfortunately the OSx word processors don;t always handle .doc files well.

are you using Pages or what?
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3
yesdnyl
macrumors newbie

i'm not even sure what Pages that you are referring to is... i have tried a couple of different word processors, but the information still doesn't convert correctly. i will download word... thanks for the reply I would LOVE any other tips for a new mac user anyone might have
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:43 AM   #4
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesdnyl View Post
i have tried a couple of different word processors
Which ones have you tried? What specific problems are you having?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:32 AM   #5
yesdnyl
macrumors newbie

I have tried Bean and Open office (open office had some error and would not run properly). When I print handouts for math, the equations do not print, and in word problems, the numbers are completely left out... I'm sure you can see why this is slightly frustrating Also, Images, charts, etc. are not printed properly on Lab guides.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesdnyl View Post
I have tried Bean and Open office (open office had some error and would not run properly). When I print handouts for math, the equations do not print, and in word problems, the numbers are completely left out... I'm sure you can see why this is slightly frustrating Also, Images, charts, etc. are not printed properly on Lab guides.
Pages from the Mac App store will do a better job of importing your documents, but the bottom line is that if you want all the formatting to remain intact, then a copy of Office for Mac is the best bet.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:37 AM   #7
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Pages = the Apple iWork app Pages.

Reading Microsoft word/excel on other platforms can be touchy. Sometimes it will work fine, other times it gets a mess.

Some schools have a discount program whereby you can buy a copy of Word/Excel for a low student price.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:42 AM   #8
yesdnyl
macrumors newbie

thank you all for the info. I see there is a free download of word, any problems that you know of with that?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook