Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArsenyP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Hey!

I need help setting up a backup for our server in our office. I have very little knowledge in that area, so i am hoping there are a couple of members here who will be kind enough to help me through the process.

Our server is running of a Mac Mini Server (2 GHz Intel Core i7) it is connected to a Promise Raid Hardrive via thunderbolt.

Along with that we have:
DrayTek Vigor 2920 Dual WAN Security Router
HP ProCurve (1810G-24 Switch)
APC Smart-UPS device
and two modems both connected to DrayTek

I have to connect a Netgear ReadyNAS as backup RAID to the server.
It used to be connected to AirPort Extreme over Lan in another room but my boss said we should move it to the server room.

Thanks.

Regards,

arsenyp

PS: Could anyone suggest any reference material or maybe educational films, that would help me get more informed on the subject. I am a quick learner and have basic IT knowledge but unfortunately i just don't know where to start. Thanks again!

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I have to connect a Netgear ReadyNAS as backup RAID to the server. It used to be connected to AirPort Extreme over Lan in another room but my boss said we should move it to the server room.
You might be making this too difficult. If the NAS was already connected to the network via Airport Extreme, then all you have to do is connect the NAS to your switch directly.

old:
NAS --> Airport Extreme --> Wifi --> LAN

new:
NAS --> LAN

...or am I misunderstanding your request?

ArsenyP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for a quick reply.

Should I connect NAS to the HP ProCurve directly? If so how do I know which slot should i be using?

As far as I understand the internet cable (red) goes to the switch. The switch is connected to the mac mini directly over a white LAN cable. An there is another cable which connects to DrayTek over GigaLAN.
DrayTek has two yellow wires (one for each WAN). WAN1 is connected to a cable modem. WAN2 is connected to black Siemens modem to LAN4 (on the back over the connection the label says 'Home TV'). I hope this might clear things up a little.

I am also not sure how I can check if NAS is actually going to backup the data from the server (Promise Pegasus R4). Do i need to assign it a new IP-address
That's is the part that I am confused about.

Thanks again so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.