Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:39 AM   #1
supercooled
macrumors 6502a

Steam Games Not Loading

Well, I've had Steam with 10.7 for a while now without a hitch but recently I installed a second video card to power a flat screen tv. Challenging y trouble shooting, I reinstalled ML to start anew so I have no idea if I'm missing some drivers or what.

When I try to launch a game, it appears momentarily in the dock then vanishes as quickly as it appears.

any suggestion why?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 2.35.04 AM.png
Views:	46
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	394374  
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:15 AM   #2
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Doesn't sound like a driver problem. If it were, you'd have more issues than just steam. Try:

1. "Please exit Steam and go to the folder Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam

Delete all of the files in this folder except for SteamApps.

Restart your computer.

Launch Steam and re-test the issue."

If that doesn't work...

2. Repair disk permissions
3. Verify integrity of game cache in steam.

One of those should work.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
supercooled
macrumors 6502a

Hey Cougarcat, I tried those without any success. When I tried going into the Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam I didn't see a Steam folder at all which lead me to believe it may have installed onto another partition by accident. I simply created a folder called Steam hoping it would work but to no avail.

I am now deleting the Steam application and starting fresh again. I just hope the problem isn't stemming from a corrupted install which I'm using to backup again.

Very vexing! Argh.

Also, I mentioned this was on 10.7 which is a mistake; it is 10.8.2

UPDATE:

I was able to install another game and it works. I'm thinking this is a corrupt download. At 14GB, L4D2 is going to take awhile to download. Sigh.

UPDATE 2:

Ok, I'm really getting angry now. I thought the problem was isolated to the download of files as GTA III was working fine. I downloaded L4D1 as it was only half the size of L4D2 hoping to confirm this suspicion and it too will not launch. So far it's L4D1 and 2 that exhibit the same things. Also, when I try to go into Big Picture mode, Steam crashes. Are you sure this isn't a video issue?

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Might just flush the OSX install and try again.

Last edited by supercooled; Feb 4, 2013 at 07:54 AM.
supercooled is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games