Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:16 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Highlights Age Ratings in iOS App Store With New Icons

Apple yesterday rolled out another tweak for its iOS App Store, adding age rating icons to the top section of each app's information page. While the ratings have long been included in app details at the bottom of the pages, the new icons are much more prominent to help parents quickly assess whether a given app might be age appropriate for their children.

The change comes roughly two weeks after Apple added new "Offers In-App Purchases" labels to relevant App Store listings in another effort to make parents and other customers more aware of potential costs involved with apps.

Article Link: Apple Highlights Age Ratings in iOS App Store With New Icons
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

In-App-Purchases are also showcased there - noticed this earlier today.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

OUR CHILDREN NEED PROTECTION!! They need iBubbleSuits.
Klae17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
chuckd83
macrumors regular

Apple doing your parenting for you. "Wait, are you 9 years old yet? Ok, here's Final Fantasy."
chuckd83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:00 AM   #5
roland.g
macrumors 603

Unfortunately what iOS App store does not do well is make it easy to search for educational games, learning, and creativity apps by age range. So it isn't easy to determine which "Children's" category apps are better for a 3 and 5 year old than for a 8 or 10 year old.

With so many apps available, it's a lot of junk to wade through.

AppShopper is pretty much a useless site and app too, and not just for Kids stuff but their entire search engine and paradigm is flawed for the consumer. It's only useful if you know what you are looking for, in which case I wouldn't need their site.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:08 AM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Every science teacher ever is probably going bananas over the lack of units with that number. 9+ What!? Is that how many hours the app runs?

I feel parents may not understand either. Having the words "For Ages" above it would be useful.
ArtOfWarfare is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
MacFan23
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Every science teacher ever is probably going bananas over the lack of units with that number. 9+ What!? Is that how many hours the app runs?

I feel parents may not understand either. Having the words "For Ages" above it would be useful.
MacFan23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:49 PM   #8
vigorblade
macrumors member

Cool Mystery Solved !

I was wondering why it had 4+ next to my app's icon, when I went to update. Now I know...
vigorblade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Weegee1
Banned

Quote:

What else would "9+" mean?
Weegee1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 05:10 PM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegee1 View Post
What else would "9+" mean?
Number of hours it can run on a fully charged battery. How highly Apple's employees rate it. IDK, you'd be surprised at the kinds of weird things people will mistakenly think it's referring to... Particularly in the context of an app in general rather than of a game or educational app in particular.
ArtOfWarfare is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 05:18 PM   #11
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Number of hours it can run on a fully charged battery. How highly Apple's employees rate it. IDK, you'd be surprised at the kinds of weird things people will mistakenly think it's referring to... Particularly in the context of an app in general rather than of a game or educational app in particular.
And that's the underlying issue of trying to cater to all that kind of "weird"/"mistaken" stuff--going for the lowest common denominator doesn't really result in all that much good for the majority (whether most realize it or not).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 06:11 PM   #12
.Asa
macrumors regular

I think Apple's age ratings are really messed up. I have played some really gruesome games that were only rated 9+, while some 12+ apps have apparently no inappropriate content at all. And google chrome is rated 17+ just because there is 17+ stuff on the internet.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Weegee1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
And that's the underlying issue of trying to cater to all that kind of "weird"/"mistaken" stuff--going for the lowest common denominator doesn't really result in all that much good for the majority (whether most realize it or not).
Wait, isn't a very low lowest common denominator a good thing? The stupid people would be those who are big prime numbers.
Weegee1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:47 PM   #14
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post
I think Apple's age ratings are really messed up. I have played some really gruesome games that were only rated 9+, while some 12+ apps have apparently no inappropriate content at all. And google chrome is rated 17+ just because there is 17+ stuff on the internet.
The developers pick the rating that's why it's so messed up.
charlituna is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 09:05 AM   #15
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Can the ESRB ratings be applied to iOS and Android games?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:20 AM   #16
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

How much time do you think for people to figure out the fact that it's not for 9+ hours? Most people use common sense, you know. But putting "for ages" up there would be useful.
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 04:48 PM   #17
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Wow... I reckon natural selection missed a few people out there if that's the case...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 07:07 PM   #18
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
Wow... I reckon natural selection missed a few people out there if that's the case...
Natural selection ended when welfare started.
ArtOfWarfare is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 07:34 AM   #19
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Natural selection ended when welfare started.
Doesn't get truer than that folks.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion