Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
garirry
macrumors 6502

iPod touch barely charges

I'm not sure, but I think it's the wire. When I connect my iPod, the problem is, one side of the connector doesn't work, the other just barely. When I plug in, it requires to be jiggled a bit so it can start charging. If I touch the wire connector, if I pull it, it stops charging. I tried with my PC, my Mac and my external charger. It always make that charging sound when you connect, I hear it like 3 times in a row, and I'm sure it affects the battery a lot. I still have warranty. Can somebody help me?
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2
qwerty994
macrumors member

Definitely sounds like the charging cord is broken. Try with a different one.
qwerty994 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 06:48 AM   #3
garirry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty994 View Post
I don't have another one. This is the only device in my house that has a lighning connector. I have 2 30-pin cables and 2 30-pin docks.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:38 PM   #4
qwerty994
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
I don't have another one. This is the only device in my house that has a lighning connector. I have 2 30-pin cables and 2 30-pin docks.
Then unfortunately you're going to have to buy another one. Or if you have a friend with one, try that one.
qwerty994 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
garirry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Then unfortunately you're going to have to buy another one. Or if you have a friend with one, try that one.
I have a warranty. Will they replace it with a new one if I bring it to the Apple Retail Store?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:51 AM   #6
Virginaustralia
macrumors regular

if you have a warranty then theyll replace it even if you broke it. i had the same problem a few years ago, just return it and consider purchasing another backup one or even a lightning to 30 pin adapter.
Virginaustralia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:05 AM   #7
Beyongthewall
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Agreed ! The charging cord can be bought under 1$ in my area, and it works well as the original.

PS. most of current mobile chargers has an additional charging kit for iOS device and it is very convenient for outdoor usage.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:25 AM   #8
garirry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginaustralia View Post
if you have a warranty then theyll replace it even if you broke it. i had the same problem a few years ago, just return it and consider purchasing another backup one or even a lightning to 30 pin adapter.
Do I need to make a Genius reservation or I can just bring it to somebody who works at the Apple Store?

----------

Do I need to bring only my iPod Touch with his wire? Do they have the serial number to verify that it still have a warranty?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:02 AM   #9
garirry
macrumors 6502

Ok, so I go to the Apple store with a Genius reservation. Yes, it is the cable problem, they changed it for free and it works now.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginaustralia View Post
The Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapters cost more than a Lightning cable. May as well just buy a spare Lightning cable.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:23 AM   #11
jmac3
macrumors newbie

what sucks about those large docking ports is it's a perfect trap for pocket lint, dust and all kinds of debris.
, that may have been passed on to the charging cable as well. get some 99% iso and a stiff brush and clean out both ports on ipod and cable. dont keep jiggling it, or you can eventually really break something
jmac3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:55 AM   #12
BarryL
macrumors 6502

New cable. I've had 3 lightning cables replaced so far.
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:08 AM   #13
garirry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Man, that sucks. Why the h*** did they changed the connector after 10 years using a good connector? The 30-pin was better, more reliable and just the fact that my iPod Touch have that new connector means it won't work with older accessories unless I buy an Lightning to 30-pin adapter. Seriously, Apple?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
What happens to your cables?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch