Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I am so glad I saw this. I am literally starting school Monday, and I have my iMac for sale on eBay. I was going to take the $750ish NET I'll likely clear and buy a 2012 MBA out of the Apple Refurb store for $799. But for $900 @ Best Buy... I am going for the cMBP instead! Better deal!

Not really.

Shorter battery life, bigger, heavier etc.

You do get a CD slot for all those CDs that people still rip...

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Not really.

Shorter battery life, bigger, heavier etc.

You do get a CD slot for all those CDs that people still rip...

Um... I was going to make compromises for the sake of price before this deal.

Screen:
11" on MBA ($799 Refurb) vs. 13" on cMBP ($899 New Best Buy)

Internal Storage:
128 GB Storage on MBA vs. 500 GB HDD
(Would rather have more storage than faster storage... especially when I need a Bootcamp partition for school)

Battery Life:
5 hours (2012 11" MBA) vs. 7 hours (2012 cMBP)

The superdrive is a nice option to have around even though it doesn't get used much.

Hoko222

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
P

What does "Future Proof" mean? Or what does it mean to you? Can u use it in 5 years? Sure. What about 50 years. I'd say NO. You guys are all fighting over what these phrases mean to you, and it really has nothing to do with computers, your fighting over misunderstanding of semantics. On a side not, why is every one is such a bad mood, I know it's hot out, but this is silly. This article is telling people about a sale to save money on Apple computers. It's kinda funny how much anger came from this article.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Um... I was going to make compromises for the sake of price before this deal.

Screen:
11" on MBA ($799 Refurb) vs. 13" on cMBP ($899 New Best Buy)

Internal Storage:
128 GB Storage on MBA vs. 500 GB HDD
(Would rather have more storage than faster storage... especially when I need a Bootcamp partition for school)

Battery Life:
5 hours (2012 11" MBA) vs. 7 hours (2012 cMBP)

The superdrive is a nice option to have around even though it doesn't get used much.

You're forgetting a major advantage if the cmbp:
Being able to upgrade ram to 16gb and to a ssd in the future for super cheap=priceless.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Being able to upgrade ram to 16gb and to a ssd in the future for super cheap=priceless.

That's the first time I've heard the term "super cheap" used to describe an SSD. Do you mean in 10 years?

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth

Is that stuff user upgradable? I bit the bullet and picked up my cMBP last night and there is no access doors. I am not about to tear this thing apart.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Is that stuff user upgradable? I bit the bullet and picked up my cMBP last night and there is no access doors. I am not about to tear this thing apart.
ifixit.com is a great resource as well. I used it to guide me through all my upgrades.

Kylegeek

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Utah
Macbook Pro 13' 4GB 500 GB HD

From Apple (with edu discount + $100 gift card) for me here in Utah is: $1,060.58

From Best Buy (with edu discount) $961.64

You would pay $100 less.

The exact price will vary but I say Best Buy is a better deal because you could find a place that has $100 giftcards for like $80 and save some money or find a place online that doesn't charge sales tax.

ChrisNH

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
southern New Hampshire
will Apple match BB?

My sister would like to become a One-to-One member, which you cannot get unless you buy your Mac at the Apple Store. So has anyone challenged their local Apple Store on matching the BB deal so that they can also buy the One-to-One?

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Even though we just bought a 13" rMBP, I might buy a cMBP tonight at Best Buy. I have my son's .edu coupon ready to go, but just one question remains: do the latest cMBP's have overheating problems? The display model was pretty warm the few times I used it, but it sits there 24/7 getting abused. There doesn't seem to be any clear answer when searching, so any comment that pushes me over the edge is good enough. :D

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Even though we just bought a 13" rMBP, I might buy a cMBP tonight at Best Buy. I have my son's .edu coupon ready to go, but just one question remains: do the latest cMBP's have overheating problems? The display model was pretty warm the few times I used it, but it sits there 24/7 getting abused. There doesn't seem to be any clear answer when searching, so any comment that pushes me over the edge is good enough. :D

My cMBP does get warm with heavy use, but it's definitely cooler than the 2011/2010 models thanks to Intel's 22nm Ivy Bridge.

If it was to be my only MBP, I would get a friend's .edu address, get the $100 coupon, get the MBP for $899. Buy a Samsung 840 256gb for $175, 16gb of DDR3 ram for $110, a opti-bay clone for $10. For your $1200 + tax or so, you would kick-butt MBP with 256gb SSD, 500gb HDD in the optical bay, and 16gb of RAM. That would be future proof for some time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.