Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Apologies for yet another post on this topic but having seen many topics of people asking if they need to spend a bit more to buy i7, the general feeling has been no not worth it if your not going to push it much. But I am coming at it from a different angle,

Lets assume money isn't really an issue. I do a fair bit of video editing in FCPx but its only 40% of what I use the machine for and an increase in productivity here is nice but not essential. rest of the machine is already maxed out.
some people have eluded to temperature levels , is there any argument for not getting the i7 for this or any other reason?
and exploring that further, lets say the machine runs very hot at top spec- so what? what are the consequences, you'd think its been tested to withstand those levels?

thanks in advance for input.

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
I'm guessing that people are so interested in temperatures because of the chance continued heat might slowly damage the screen. Others just prefer their computers to be silent and don't want the fans going full blast.

Personally if money wasn't an issue I would get the i7. 40% of the computer's use going towards video editing is likely enough to benefit from the extra power. Plus longevity.

In 5 years something like i7 hyperthreading may also keep your iMac useable when we have oct-core Macbook Airs and other crazy future tech.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I do the same kind of thing with my 2011 iMac. I decided to max out everything, so went with the I7 3.4GHZ GPU...the machine works flawless, but I think the extra 8GB of RAM I put in has more to do with my overall performance. The machine has 16GB RAM and 2GB VRAM...Was top of the tree last year.

If money isn't an issue, then I'd go with it, I can't give you a direct comparison as All my Macs are I7's....My MBP also has 16GB of RAm and runs the Imac close but you can tell it's a 2.4GHZ CPU in multitasking...It takes a little longer to respond than the iMac, which is seamless.

I don't do heavy work on my MBA, but it has a 1.8GHZ I7 in it. For the few extra $$ I think it's worthwhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.