Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
There's an option to enable ads in your You Tube vids. Have you had success with this and how many views would you have to get for it to mean anything?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I actually make a decent amount. I get approx 3000-3500 views per day.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I also heard that it is in the area of 1$ per 1000 views, but varies greatly.

Anyways, if you have a few thousand views a day, you could end up making some money off of it. If you only have a hundred views per day (like me), the 3 bucks each month in my opinion don't make up for the 5 second ad the viewers have to sit through to get to your content.

I think you really have to balance the money you make from it versus the annoyance of your viewership. I never turned on any ads, since when I send friends a link, I don't want them to watch an ad first. I'd rather have them pay me the 0.1 cents directly. :)

Just some thoughts...

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, agreed on Thou shalt not annoy your viewers.

I also heard that it is in the area of 1$ per 1000 views, but varies greatly.

Anyways, if you have a few thousand views a day, you could end up making some money off of it. If you only have a hundred views per day (like me), the 3 bucks each month in my opinion don't make up for the 5 second ad the viewers have to sit through to get to your content.

I think you really have to balance the money you make from it versus the annoyance of your viewership. I never turned on any ads, since when I send friends a link, I don't want them to watch an ad first. I'd rather have them pay me the 0.1 cents directly. :)

Just some thoughts...

Macrovertigo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Vermont/España/etc.
ad agreements really just function to provide free content to google.

----------

be sure that you have created (and own Copyright or possess all of the necessary Reproduction Rights to) all of the content including art, music, interviews, etc., in your video if you choose to monetize it, or it gets messy.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
the 3 bucks each month in my opinion don't make up for the 5 second ad the viewers have to sit through to get to your content.

I haven't got a lot of viewers, and I haven't actually uploaded a video in a year (This month last year was the last time I uploaded), but I have got some AdSense thing going, and I've made something like £5, haven't taken it yet because I haven't sorted out my Debit card for AdSense, and it's not that worth it.

Anyway, I personally went and turned off the video ads for all my videos to avoid wasting people's time. The pop up ads are fine, the video ads are intrusive. Even though not many people are watching, not gonna waste their time watching some dumb ad...don't want them to turn off before actually watching the video.

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I've been stuck at $12.40 for over a month now. It's really tough especially with what I do since most people just want to watch cute cat videos instead of awesome racing events and/or car shows/meets.

You can see my videos at youtube.com/mikeschmeeedotcom

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
If you are looking to get rich, prolly won't happen unless you are getting thousands and thousands of views a day and have thousands of subscribers.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Honestly, it's a lot of work and depending on your subject matter it can cost more than you make back from AdSense. You also need to become a YouTube partner before you start making any money from them.

It also depends on the popularity of the video and the time of the year. During Christmas was the best of the year more me and AdSense revenue, now it's just depressing making nearly 33% of what I made from AdSense during Christmas.

Here's my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ModernIntel
About 11,000 subscribers and 2,797,500 views after 3 and a half years. Takes tonnes of work!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.