Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:37 AM   #451
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
I think Edward himself is fascinating. He seems like a very bright and articulate young man that's at ease with himself. He seems like a real American with good moral character and a good understanding of the United States Constitution.
I was ready to write off 2013 as another boring year, but now I'm looking forward to watching this grand black comedy unfold and unravel.

Hollywood itself couldn't have done a better job casting of character, nor could Orwell have written a better plot...

James Clapper reminds me the archetypal James Bond villain.

Thumb resize.

And NSA's new $1.2 billion, one million square-foot, data center in Utah, said to have a storage capacity that will be measured in "five zettabytes" is mind-blowing -- because of the sheer number of zeros, if nothing else! (Twenty seven! Count 'em. 27.)
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:09 AM   #452
Merkava_4
macrumors 6502

localoid,

I just now finished reading a very interesting article and thought you might be interested as well.

LINK
Merkava_4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:27 AM   #453
GermanyChris
Banned

http://www.theonion.com/articles/oba...-record,32712/
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:55 AM   #454
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Earning $200K a year, had top security clearance, and never graduated from high school. Amazing.
Aspasia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:26 AM   #455
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
Earning $200K a year, had top security clearance, and never graduated from high school. Amazing.
Hard to believe some people still pay based on skills vs. where you slept off your hangovers between 18-22, right?

My grandfather never made it to high school, but as a farmer, he could run a handful of dirt through his hands and tell you what the land was worth. He was paid very handsomely by local banks for being their consultant because of this skill.
PBG4 Dude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:32 AM   #456
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post
Hard to believe some people still pay based on skills vs. where you slept off your hangovers between 18-22, right?

My grandfather never made it to high school, but as a farmer, he could run a handful of dirt through his hands and tell you what the land was worth. He was paid very handsomely by local banks for being their consultant.
People tend to forget that it's the application of knowledge that makes you valuable.
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:27 PM   #457
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

My grandfather never made it to high school, but as a farmer, he could run a handful of dirt through his hands and tell you what the land was worth. He was paid very handsomely by local banks for being their consultant because of this skill.
I wasn't denigrating Mr. Snowden's employment at all. My amazement was that such opportunity still exists, at least in the private sector.
Aspasia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:29 AM   #458
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
It would appear your links are invalid...
Crazy how news can vanish these days..
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:44 PM   #459
MarkCollette
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGood View Post
Pretty stoic. Fact that people are having all these terrorism related discussions is fact sufficient that 911 has changed America.
What I was aiming to say, was that with all the international conflicts the USA has been embroiled in, that the American citizentry have been unaware of, or apathetic towards, in favour of, or against, that 9/11 did not represent a noticeable escalation of conflict. The act itself did not put the USA in a greater danger than any of the large world wars, where it managed to better maintain its citizen's rights. It is only the disproportionate overreaction to it, that has changed America. So yes, there has been a change, but it's important to understand the true nature and cause of it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Very well stated, thank you. It is a shame we allowed our fears to dominate our senses, zealotry to quench our blood thirst, and politicians to strip away our rights. This isn't a partisan issue, not even an American issue, rather a global epidemic. We have allowed our elected officials to manipulate us through rhetoric, dividing us further until we have become so antagonistic towards one another we stopped paying attention. We need to work together, collectively, forgetting party lines and realizing we all want the same thing, let's find a way to get there.

P.S. if you're adopting, let me know. Or sponsoring, or have anyone who needs to get married. I love hockey and brooming!
No, I think you did a better job of stating it
MarkCollette is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:00 PM   #460
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

This is scary stuff, but not entirely surprising. Everything that goes through the internet is public, so it makes sense that it could be monitored (unless encrypted), either by a government entity, or someone else (cyber criminals?).

Last edited by ritmomundo; Jun 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM   #461
ekdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
Yes, but as an American I don't care if you find our behavior offensive, what are you or anyone else going to do about it?

As a Australian I think you should have a look at the awful laws Howard pushed through during his tenure, noting that we escaped the sedition clause that he tried to add. Prism is completely legal, the Australian laws are also legal just as bad.

So, in summary, try not to be a hypocrite when you're having a bout of righteous anger.
I didn't mean to offend you. It's just how it comes across. And I can't agree more about how bad Howard was. Glad I never voted for his party.

Last edited by dejo; Aug 15, 2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: restored post.
ekdor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues