Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
I would do it for the simple fact I never bring my iphone into the bathroom with me when I shower b.c the humidity.

edit: This is from their website....is this not a contradiction to what the article says?

"Disclaimer: Liquipel applies a preventative coating designed to aid in the event of accidental liquid exposure, and assumes no responsibility for water damaged devices. Liquipel does not recommend your device ever come in contact with liquid."

...or maybe that $59.99 is for the old coating and the new one will be much more since they are covering damages?

I suspect sales w/o warranty were virtually nonexistent. Price probably will vary with the cost of the device, i.e. a 64 GB iPhone will cost more than a 16 GB iPhone.

OEM application would require such a warranty.

I can also foresee a large market for this in government and corporate applications.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
If apple ever builds this in their devices I only imagine there will be threads complaining about "watergate" in the tradition of the other various issues.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
doesn't apple already have a partial coating? (opps update: at least for the iphone 5 and new iPads) for a few min? Plus the company doesn't even warranty it will work right? There was bad reviews in the past so I been waiting for another company.

But after seeing the reviews from android authority regarding apple's own coating, I think i'm safe from spills and an a quick accident drop in water. It was on macrumors earlier but if you want to see it again google android authority iphone torture test. I had heard reports that some people dropped it in water for 15 min. So testing something that already has a coating, I'm not so impressed.

In the iPhone section someone said they dropped their iP5 into water (the shallow area of a lake), and they kind of just froze in semi-shock because they could see it still operating completely submerged, in a foot or two of water. Ultimately they got it shut down, "riced it" for like 24 hours (I believe they may have even opened it up) and it's apparently completely OK.

There was some discussion about a possible light water resistant coating (also as you might image talk it was totally fabricated, the work of aliens, etc.)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
How does this coating work with heat over extended usage periods of the devices covered by the water resistant coating?

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
This is pretty incredible stuff, what about connectors like your headphones, charging dock etc. which I assume get a coating. I suppose after a certain amount of time it will wear off them from constant connections and disconnections. On top of that I assume the material must be conductive if it's going to cover the metal contacts here.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I can't help but wonder why people can't just go visit the website and watch the video which explains the process (it's gas not liquid that is used to permeate the phone) and all the other details people are asking about.

Vapor is not gas.

This is pretty incredible stuff, what about connectors like your headphones, charging dock etc. which I assume get a coating. I suppose after a certain amount of time it will wear off them from constant connections and disconnections. On top of that I assume the material must be conductive if it's going to cover the metal contacts here.

If this was the case then it is the same as water, so no, BS, it will short circuit and damages the phone.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I just happened to drop my iPhone 5 in a puddle 2 days ago.
It was submersed for about 3-4 seconds. I dried it off and blew out the water and used a hair dryer on cool for it.
So far it’s been ok. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I would like something like that on my phone for sure. :eek:

Gorge

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
I had this done for my iPhone 4. 3 hours after it was done, I got some tupperware, put my phone with music playing in it, poured 2 cups of water, and it worked fine. I pulled it out and it was still working. The music was muffled because there was water in the speakers, but once it dried, it worked fine.

I tried it 2 more times of the course of 3 months. I was definitely scared that one day, my show boating would bite me in the butt, but it never did. I no longer use that phone since I got a 5, but I may liquipel it again once I get a decent 5. I'm going on my 4th one.

As far as touch/feel, you cannot tell a difference at all. And the white water sensor sticker is still white even after all of my water tests.

oomega1

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Yeah they had a lot of bad reviews. Thats why I am waiting for hz0 and another company to do it. I also heard a problem with nano coating currently is chemicals may cause it to wear off. Such as soap etc. So unless its pure water its hard to warranty such problems. If thats the case its almost not worth having lol.

Liquipel was the recipient of an Australian CHOICE magazine 'Shonky' award at the end of 2012 for misleading advertising. They report that as a result, the NSW Fair Trading office has asked Liquipel to justify their claims. CHOICE's quote: "it's homeopathy for iStuff."

Worth a read before getting it done to your device:
http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-an...kys/the-2012-shonky-awards/page/liquipel.aspx

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Sweet, I just saved $59 by using my pocket and not being an idiot with my phone ;)

Merely with your words.

On the other hand people who opt for it can do amateur underwater photography, take calls in the rain, and protect against accidents. Keeping your phone in your pocket doesn't make it waterproof.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
They might insert connectors before doing this process or cover it up:p

Then the connectors wouldn't be protected and if they shorted in water, that would be pretty crap.

I mean I haven't a clue how they make this work, but I'm utterly intrigued now!

Anyone have a clue?

eztips

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
Then the connectors wouldn't be protected and if they shorted in water, that would be pretty crap.

I mean I haven't a clue how they make this work, but I'm utterly intrigued now!

Anyone have a clue?

Liquipel uses a special type of molecule that allows electricity to flow between two good conductors, but prevents electricity from flowing between an ok conductor like water and a good conductor.

The effect is similar to how a transistor works, where it only conducts electricity under specific circumstances.

Simply put liquipel allows materials with a conductivity of roughly 1x10^5th or greater to conduct electricity and it prevents anything less from being conductive. The list of materials that are that conductive is limited to metals that cables are made of, so it prevents water which is several orders of magnitude less conductive from making a connection.

In other words the only thing that will cause a short is if you filled your phone with copper dust or something.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Liquipel uses a special type of molecule that allows electricity to flow between two good conductors, but prevents electricity from flowing between an ok conductor like water and a good conductor.

The effect is similar to how a transistor works, where it only conducts electricity under specific circumstances.

Simply put liquipel allows materials with a conductivity of roughly 1x10^5th or greater to conduct electricity and it prevents anything less from being conductive. The list of materials that are that conductive is limited to metals that cables are made of, so it prevents water which is several orders of magnitude less conductive from making a connection.

In other words the only thing that will cause a short is if you filled your phone with copper dust or something.

That's the only thing that I thought made sense.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
cool, but my lifeproof does much more than that, it makes my phone waterproof, it saves the phone from scratches, bumps and absorbs the shock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.