Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmolloy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Some is selling an unopened iPad Mini 16gb wi-fi only for $425. The price for this iPad Mini is almost the same as the store, but there is no tax, which saves me $40. I hope he'll bring the price down to $410 (no price is ever firm...). Is it worth it to risk buying a stolen iPad? Can I somehow check to see if it was stolen without opening it?

Here's the link
And here's the email he sent to me when I inquired:
Hi Tim,
Yes it's in perfect condition & still sealed & wrapped. I just have a 64GB Blk Verizon I got for myself when they first came out & have a regular Retina iPad as well, so no need for a 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone​

Any advice would be appreciated!

miklovo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
Some is selling an unopened iPad Mini 16gb wi-fi only for $425.

first of all it's a 32gb mini for sale, not a 16gb as you stated and second, I would never buy anything from a dude that writes his number like this....80fve-67nine-12zero6.

He may as well have just said the price was 425 roses........

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Whenever I search for "ipad mini" on Craigslist, I see a good number of crazy-low asking prices but convincing descriptions. Like, a 64gb wi-fi model for only $425 and similar. But then I realized that they're probably just collecting email addresses from the lots of interested people.

I've had good experiences with Craigslist in the past, but this [seemingly] new trend alone is putting me off from going that route this time.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I bought mine on craigslist. I subtly asked during our texting if they had a receipt for the iPad and if I could open it as the seller stated it was sealed. I explained why I asked those things and they were very willing to assist me before forking over my money. If you feel comfortable with the seller, proceed. If you do not or do not agree on a price, move on. Its not worth your or the sellers hassle.

tmolloy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Thanks for your comments and sorry for the typo. Its a new 32gb iPad Mini wi-fi only. I talked him down to $400. From his emails he sounds legitimate. I asked to meet in a public place and I'm going to open the box and turn on the ipad to make sure it works. I'll also check the serial number on this website from my iphone before I hand over the cash.

Anything else that I should do before I pay him?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Anything else that I should do before I pay him?

Yes, suck it up and pay the tax and buy from Apple or a reputable retailer. You get a 30 day buyers remorse with most retailers and a 14 day from Apple. If something is wrong with the device it's easier to get it exchanged for a working unit.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yes, suck it up and pay the tax and buy from Apple or a reputable retailer. You get a 30 day buyers remorse with most retailers and a 14 day from Apple. If something is wrong with the device it's easier to get it exchanged for a working unit.

This!

The warranty is likely already started, so the OP could be losing nearly a quarter of the warranty.

tmolloy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Well, my wife and I met the guy at a starbucks last night. Nothing about his manner made me suspicious and he let me open the box, start up the ipad, and check the serial number for the warranty. The ipad worked as expected. I connected it to wifi, checked for updates, and checked the warranty. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Plus the warranty is good for a full year, not from the purchase date, but from yesterday--the day I registered it.

I figured if he was ok with me opening the box and checking the warranty, then he is most likely telling the truth. There is no way to 100% prevent being conned, but if you don't act like an easy target, they usually will back out. Craigslist is risky, but there are still legitimate deals out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.