Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Looking at buying a replacement for my one I dropped..so is there any risks like is it genuine? I guess a quick check of the Apple warranty site will confirm?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Looking at buying a replacement for my one I dropped..so is there any risks like is it genuine? I guess a quick check of the Apple warranty site will confirm?

Why not just take it to the Apple store and pay the replacement fee? Do you have AppleCare+?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
No I decided to sell my Iphone in the local newspaper.

I worked out I can get it fixed for less if someone buys this I can buy a replacement on ebay.

The replacement price is something like $150 States-side, so I imagine something along those lines in the UK. Buying a new phone is going to be upwards of $600-$1000 depending on the seller and if you're paying VAT, etc.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
It's £182 to repair.

Selling with the dents and rebuying via eBay may be cheaper.

Only thing with today's iphone 5s rumours
Maybe I should be holding off as I might not even have this one a full year?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's £182 to repair.

Selling with the dents and rebuying via eBay may be cheaper.

Only thing with today's iphone 5s rumours
Maybe I should be holding off as I might not even have this one a full year?

It's a rumor.

Get one with life with what you have now.

And no it's not cheaper and definitely more hassle to sell a broken device than replacing it with Apple.

Also if it's just dents, I would deal with it.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

Are you kidding me? Every iPhone I've had has dents.

Deal with it. You don't need a new phone. What would a phone with no dents do for you other than allow you to run around being an attention seeker with an undented iPhone 5?

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
iphone 5 on ebay

How safe/trustable is buying an iphone on eBay?
Since I couldnt get one using the verizon preorder system because I dont have a SSN and a US credit card, cant order one and I was wondering to buy it on ebay.
I'm afraid about getting the phone (will be delivered or not, the ESN/IMEI, the unlockable factor, etc).
Any advice? Should I wait for the unlocked version from Apple?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.