Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Now if only the official update would hit my N7, nothing yet.

If you have the means just install it yourself instead of waiting for the OTA. Google will put them out in stages.

Also there is a trick to make it want to update. Clear data and kill google.framework then check for update. Sometimes that works, it used to on past Android devices I've used anyway.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If you have the means just install it yourself instead of waiting for the OTA. Google will put them out in stages.

Also there is a trick to make it want to update. Clear data and kill google.framework then check for update. Sometimes that works, it used to on past Android devices I've used anyway.

I'm always hesitant (better word is probably lazy) to force installations. As for clearing data that's probably over my head and I'll assume I need a root to do that?

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I'm always hesitant (better word is probably lazy) to force installations. As for clearing data that's probably over my head and I'll assume I need a root to do that?

I am already running 4.2 on my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7. Got them installed just before lunch today.

As someone mentioned, the binaries for 4.2 for the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Nexus (HSPA) have been released.

Downloading and pushing the update to your device takes a lot less know-how than it used to since Google included a stock recovery to nexus devices which does not require root access.

The hard part is downloading/installing the Android SDK (Software developer' kit) and the USB driver for your device.

Once that is done, it is a simple matter of putting your device into adb sideload mode (which requires you to go into recovery mode first) and using your computer to issue a single command which copies the update onto the device and tells the device to install it.

Its not a one click solution, but it is no more difficult than installing a video game back in the early 90's before the days of plug & play or directX.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I am already running 4.2 on my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7. Got them installed just before lunch today.

As someone mentioned, the binaries for 4.2 for the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Nexus (HSPA) have been released.

Downloading and pushing the update to your device takes a lot less know-how than it used to since Google included a stock recovery to nexus devices which does not require root access.

The hard part is downloading/installing the Android SDK (Software developer' kit) and the USB driver for your device.

Once that is done, it is a simple matter of putting your device into adb sideload mode (which requires you to go into recovery mode first) and using your computer to issue a single command which copies the update onto the device and tells the device to install it.

Its not a one click solution, but it is no more difficult than installing a video game back in the early 90's before the days of plug & play or directX.

Wow that's a heck of a lot of work. I'll just wait for the update, but I do miss how immediate Apples updates were. Google still has some work to do on that front.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Can't wait for CM to release an update for my International S3! I don't know how long it'll be till I get my Nexus 4 which I ordered from a website that sells electronics since it's not available in my country.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Wow that's a heck of a lot of work. I'll just wait for the update, but I do miss how immediate Apples updates were. Google still has some work to do on that front.

Not really? Android has been the #1 mobile OS in the world for a while. Unlike iOS, when a new version of Android is released, you immediately have both mobile devices trying to download it OTA and modders accessing it so they can hack the new binaries onto their 3rd party ROMs.

Google has learned (the hard way) that staggering the release is the best way to keep carriers from having their entire networks hosed and distributing a buggy update to a million people.

People who don't mind playing around with a shell prompt can jump the line a bit.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Not really? Android has been the #1 mobile OS in the world for a while. Unlike iOS, when a new version of Android is released, you immediately have both mobile devices trying to download it OTA and modders accessing it so they can hack the new binaries onto their 3rd party ROMs.

Google has learned (the hard way) that staggering the release is the best way to keep carriers from having their entire networks hosed and distributing a buggy update to a million people.

People who don't mind playing around with a shell prompt can jump the line a bit.

Did Google announce a release date? I know when Apple announces a release it's ready at that exact time for everyone, not this staggered stuff. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but was just excited to have it today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.