Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
so i was really excited to see that google maps is finally released, and it does look and feel very nice. but shortly after i downloaded it i realized that 80% of the time im looking up directions is while im already driving and hence i use siri to look up directions. do you guys think we'll ever get the option to make siri open up google maps instead of the native maps app? i really don't see how apple can benefit from not having this feature...

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Dunno how many of you guys have used android, but when you try to open something it gives you a few options of apps that you can use (example if you downloaded 2 different browsers and clicked a link, it would ask what browser you want to use), cant apple themselves implement a feature like this without opening it up?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Dunno how many of you guys have used android, but when you try to open something it gives you a few options of apps that you can use (example if you downloaded 2 different browsers and clicked a link, it would ask what browser you want to use), cant apple themselves implement a feature like this without opening it up?

No, and to your next question no, and the question after that no. Apple won't open up their ecosystem especially to a fierce competitor. Notice the lack of Apple apps in the play store?

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
How is putting apple apps on the play store comparable to this? The ecosystem will stay closed, its not like android will magically gain siri support too if google maps on ios gets it. This will benefit iOS users only, while your example would very much benefit android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.