Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

93BlackSVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hi All. I just purchased an AirPort Extreme Base Station today. I ran down and picked it up from Best Buy, with the understanding that I can set up a guest network. When I navigate to the Wireless tab within the AirPort Utility though, there is no option to set up a guest network. After some research, I understand this option may be hidden if the modem I am using is not compatible. I just want to make sure that this is the reason for this and I didn't buy an AirPort Extreme that had been sitting at Best Buy for years (old model). Does anyone know how to tell if I did purchase the latest edition of the AirPort Extreme? On the bottom sticker, it has the following:
MD031LL/A Model No. A1408

I'm not sure if this means anything to anyone, but any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
The 1408 is the newest/latest generation (5th).

The guest network option should not be hidden at all under Airport Utility.

You should be able to find it by
Opening Airport Utility -> (do you have latest version of Airport Utility installed?) Airport Utility 6.1

Click Edit for your Airport Extreme ->
Go to wireless tab ->
Check to Enable Guest Network and name the network

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 2.46.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 2.46.06 PM.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 65

93BlackSVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
I don't see that. Here is a shot of what mine looks like:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 4.09.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 4.09.14 PM.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 58

93BlackSVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
I am running the latest version:
6.1 (610.31)

----------

I am partially there. Under the Network tab is the Router Mode setting. This was set to "Off (Bridge Mode)". I changed this to "DHCP and NAT". Once it updated, I now have the guest network option. Although I'm not exactly sure what the differences are between these options, and the light on the router is now blinking amber color.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Do you have a regular network setup already?

I'm wanting to say you can only create a guest AFTER a regular network has been established.
I know the guest network ONLY allows access to the internet and not your local network, this may be why you can't start with a guest network....because you wouldn't have access to your local network after you joined the guest.

:confused::confused:

93BlackSVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Yep; I actually figured it out last night. Under some Advanced area within the Admin area of the modem/router combo, I found a Routing and NAT setting. I disabled this, unplugged/replugged the modem/router. After that, I was able to do Routing and NAT on the AirPort Extreme and everything worked just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.