Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Hello,

I have my 13" MBA 2012 for about a month now, and I notice that after carrying it around in the laptop sleeve of my backpack (type http://www.haglofs.com/en-us/products/backpacksbags/daypacks/unisex/backup_17_en-us.aspx and the sleeve is vertical on the back) there are sometimes imprints of the keys on the screen, presumably because other items in the backpack press onto the laptop lid.

Is there anything I can or should do to protect the screen? Will this evolve into bad scratching of the screen, as happened with my previous cheap plastic laptop? I wonder if some kind of rigid sleeve exists, that I could use instead of the soft sleeve that came with the backpack and that could withstand pressure of a filled front compartment.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I don't know if it's any good to put something like this between the screen and the keyboard:

http://store.moshimonde.com/shieldpad-graphite.html

I don't know if it will do any damage to the hinge. It depends how thick it is.

Yes, a rigid sleeve would also do the trick.

The best backpacks for laptops are those where the laptop doesn't sit against your back, but sits more on the outside -- preferably in the middle -- so there's no pressure on the laptop.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Free and Quick fix: Avoid laying backpack on its back.

Rigid Padding: THIS material is extremely light and stiff. If ur on the West Coast I got some from Tap Plastics. It's .31" thick however. Thinner sheet exists but up to u to find.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Unfortunately, this is a design flaw of the current generation of MacBook Airs. I've seen it happen on every single model I've owned from 2010-2012.

Keyboard protectors on the Air are strongly advised against.

In the past, I've used Radtech's Screensavr product, placed between the keys and screen when closing the machine, and that seemed to prevent these pressure marks occurring.

simonsev

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Yerevan, Armenia
I am using the Speck snap-on hard case and have seen no evidence of pressure marks so far in a month of use, also carry the unit in a messenger case and it is not under pressure in the central pocket so hoping this is a solution?

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I use a keyboard cover on my Air that's enclosed in a Sena folio case and it's been fine, since with the folio case even when closed the lids do not close flushed. If that's a flaw to the Sena case then it has definitely worked in my favour.

But I realize what is being said here, and I've seen it first hand how the keyboard keys and/or keyboard covers can cause permanent imprint onto the LCD itself and it's definitely not a pretty sight.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I agree with all the others, this has been a longtime flaw. I now isolate my MBA to its own sleeve, and will use a silk handkerchief on the keyboard. And avoid heavy compression to your MBA.

Barche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
OK, thanks for all the suggestions. For now, I'll avoid pressure as much as possible, also not putting the pack on its back. I'm going to look out for a new backpack, but apparently almost all of them put the laptop compartment at the back. Any good suggestions for an alternative where the laptop is more to the front are most welcome.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I still use the soft and flimsy bit of paper that came with it, and has its own bag, i dont pack anything with it. No marks on the screen.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hello,

I have my 13" MBA 2012 for about a month now, and I notice that after carrying it around in the laptop sleeve of my backpack (type http://www.haglofs.com/en-us/products/backpacksbags/daypacks/unisex/backup_17_en-us.aspx and the sleeve is vertical on the back) there are sometimes imprints of the keys on the screen, presumably because other items in the backpack press onto the laptop lid.

Yeah...
This is something you encounter with pretty much any mac notebook.

First, I'd recommend whether it's just "finger grease" from the keys, or whether the keys have actually scratched the glass surface. In my case I'm usually able to wipe the screen squeaky clean. If you have screen cleaner, use it (but avoid force!).

If they are actually scratches, I'd check if you have some dirt on the keyboard (small grains of stuff), which could cause the scratching.
Third, close the lid. Put one palm on the bottom and another on the top case (at the edge away from the hinges), apply minimum pressure and see if the parts move (respective of each other). If yes, tightening the hinges might be an option.

In any case, back in the days of antiglare (plastic is softer than glass), scratching of the screen really was a bigger problem than today.

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.