Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenaudio

macrumors member
May 6, 2012
Europe
That's a good way of looking at it. I've delayed some decisions for my home studio in search of the most intuitive experience without making unnecessary purchases.

I don't suppose anyone has a timetable on the release of DP8?

Two years ago I bought Ableton Live in addition to Logic and the rumours that the sound algorithm which comes with Logic hasn't been improved since version 5 was obvious. Ableton sounds so much better and the way to use the intuitive program overwhelmed me!
I think, when it comes to sound, and that's what we are talking about here, other programs than logic will make the pace. Protools is another great sounding program but Avid isnt cool to my mind;).

Cheers,
KA

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
It seems like the whole audio content creation market is in turmoil right now. Well, it always has been but now more than usual.

It looks like there's a pretty good shake out going on in the hardware, software market. I have a felling that there are going to be fewer players left when it is all over and some of that will just be due to plain old bad luck. And it's cross platform this time so all can share in the fun.

I think Apple will position itself to take advantage of this so expect the unexpected from them.

Something's coming.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
logic has been getting crappier and crappier with each passing version.

it used to be snappy.. so fast! now i'm on a machine with likely 4x the computing power as when I was running 7.2.x and the interface is slower.

It's great that they've added a bunch of dvd's of loops.. but i'd rather have a program that is problem free.

They don't really fix things.. they just want you to buy/upgrade to the next version. It's incredibly annoying.

emagic used to be so on top of these things.

Sadly, I know the program so well and have so much back-catalog of files, I'm forced to stick with it.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
It seems like the whole audio content creation market is in turmoil right now. Well, it always has been but now more than usual.

It looks like there's a pretty good shake out going on in the hardware, software market. I have a felling that there are going to be fewer players left when it is all over and some of that will just be due to plain old bad luck. And it's cross platform this time so all can share in the fun.

I think Apple will position itself to take advantage of this so expect the unexpected from them.

Something's coming.

I think you're on to something.

Some big name DAWS could go bye bye.

chrslbrt

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
I've been on Studio One for a while now. I only keep Logic just to import project files and vice versa, other than that, it's dead weight.

Electribe

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Wow, so much misinformation in one thread.

Firstly, @kenaudio, please enlighten us to how ableton sounds "better" than logic.

The audio engine/algorithm myth was debunked years ago to the point that software and studio engineers use it a quick indicator of someone that knows nothing on the subject matter. I hate to say it, but it's ********.

Do a null test between the two. See what you get (or should that be what you don't get ;).

What sometimes happens with albleton is that you're hearing the warping of samples and it has certain anti aliasing filters, but many studio engineers I work with actually hate the sound as technically it's a bastardization of the original audio signal. Certainly not "better" however you cook it.

Secondly, I would love to know how Logic has been getting crapier and crapier with each version. (as well as PTHD, Cubase, etc) I've been using it for years, since version 4, dropped it when it became mac only, then picked it up again when they brought out 8.

They have consistently led the market with updates and new functions then the other DAWS then rush to copy and the thing has dropped in price by more than 60% while all these improvements and new developments are happening.

Logic is arguably at least on a par with any of the other sequencers out there, if not the best platform (albeit a very subjective issue) and there's a reason more score composers use it than any other platform. Because it;s damn advanced and works damn well.

Sure they've messed up certain things (cpu load sharing, certain bugs) but every major has their own problems, and statistically, Logic has more regular bug fixes and improvements that any other platform. I don't know what you;re talking about with the interface not being snappy? I have previous versions on other computers and they are slower - if anything Logic 9 is more efficient and faster than I've ever had it.

Don't like the loops? (me neither). Don't install them.

neodrew

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Dallas, TX
I've been on Studio One for a while now. I only keep Logic just to import project files and vice versa, other than that, it's dead weight.

I'm probably headed this direction soon, since our church will be getting a StudioLive 24.4.2 soon. Will likely continue to use Logic for home recording stuff, since I'll have my ProFires there now. Be interesting to see which one I prefer.

I had been hoping for a new Logic soon, but I've got a feeling that it won't be coming out any time soon. FCPX got some audio upgrades in past months - have to wonder if Apple is putting effort into streamlining audio production there, rather than in Logic. Or maybe they're creating some sort of grand unified ProLife'##? :eek:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I'm probably headed this direction soon, since our church will be getting a StudioLive 24.4.2 soon. Will likely continue to use Logic for home recording stuff, since I'll have my ProFires there now. Be interesting to see which one I prefer.

I had been hoping for a new Logic soon, but I've got a feeling that it won't be coming out any time soon. FCPX got some audio upgrades in past months - have to wonder if Apple is putting effort into streamlining audio production there, rather than in Logic. Or maybe they're creating some sort of grand unified ProLife'##? :eek:

Huh. streamlined A/V editing is not a stupid thing. It would make collab with video editors so much easier, but the implementation? It would need to be able to run in audio or video mode or combo mode so you don't have hindered performance.

But that would be pretty awesome if you ask me.

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
No Retina Logic = Logic X Soon?

I doubt logic x will ever come out. I been a logic user since version 8 and they sees to stray away from their pro applications as of late

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
The next version of logic will definitely come out, like other have said there are too many people that prefer it, depend on it, etc. I would rather see the current software stay at a low entry price point than a addition of a few features every year. Hopefully schools will take advantage of this because my first recording class at Texas A&M (took during highschool) passed out copies of a very dated "le" edition of cubase. It is incredibly hard to learn the production value of modern recording with antiquated software.

Plus the current version of logic is still very usable and most recording studios I've been to in the past 3-4 years still ran logic/ protools in studios a/b (not in that order neccesarily).

I'll be happy if they've been working on it since 09 to really improve it as compared to minor trivial updates.

As far as the iPad is concerned I think this could open up lots of oppritunities for many people. I would personally want to see it as a second screen/ controller type app. This would allow many mobile recording people the ability to go record a show without an 18 wheeler full of gear.
If like to see the ability to control monitors/ head phones amps similiarly to presonus add on hardware that's been around since 05 or so. The ability to pinch zoom on tracks, splice with finger, and move/ copy / etc is incredibly intriguing.

logic is a great performing daw for the price. I prefer that it doesn't become a budget daw because garage band already fills that role as well as (sonar, cubase etc). Currently for my own purposes logic sits in between pro tools and the lower end software with its one true advantage over protools being that you don't have to purchase an avid digidesign or focusrite interface.

While there are a lot of people dissapointed with the lack of updated software since 09 all the software on a mac still trounces most new software on windows. People also have to consider what people want as essential software is much different than what they needed in 2092 when "iLife" was introduced. For example what is the point in iDVD for users without a optical drive? I still use it but many don't. The other fact is that now most people with a mac now have an iphone/iPad as opposed to digital camera, iPod, contact holders ( these were pretty cool until phones started storing all the info), etc.

The hard part for apple is going to be making improvements to software that still make since in an elegant way. I prefer that each piece of software maintains and improves its own functionality but I can understand why some people would like a merge.

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
No Retina Logic = Logic X Soon?

Don't get me wrong i absolutely love logic. I just think Apple's business model has moved away from Pro applications. They seemed to be more geared to the GarageBand users. It would be nice if they revamped ultrabeat or made it easier to edit midi

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
As if GarageBand is better... Last time I tried it, in Mountain Lion, it still looked like a Leopard application, with big title bar buttons, and more aggravating, no autosave/versions/resume. For creative work, such features would be most useful...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.