Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:35 AM   #26
MyMac1976
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Was this in response to me? If so, what choice are you talking about?
you're choice to buy your house on margins
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:40 AM   #27
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Was this in response to me?
Yes.

Quote:
If so, what choice are you talking about?
If your investments out-perform your mortgage interest, then you have made a wise choice.

Otherwise, holding more than emergency money in lower-yielding investments is costing you money in the long run.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:20 PM   #28
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Yes.

If your investments out-perform your mortgage interest, then you have made a wise choice.

Otherwise, holding more than emergency money in lower-yielding investments is costing you money in the long run.
My investments have been far out-performing my mortgage interest by about six times in the last year alone. I also pay extra on my mortgage each month, to whittle down on that.

The plan on the car was to pay it down in less than a year after putting about 40% down, and at the same time ramp up on mortgage payments, until we found out we were pregnant. Puts a dent in those finances (a BIG dent when you don't have employer health coverage). But, any time I can, I throw extra towards whatever debt we have without pulling out of the investment funds.

Hard to find concrete numbers, but I think my net worth puts me in the top 20% for my age, so I can't be doing too badly.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:28 PM   #29
Desertrat
macrumors newbie

I had a boss give me a mild chewing out, one time, "You're interested in too many things!"

Er, uh, how not to be? I've always looked upon the world as a great big playground. A veritable smorgasbord of enjoyables. To me, the deal has always been to live and enjoy life, not just exist. That's how you avoid becoming the proverbial Middle-Aged Crazy.

So my bills are all paid, I have a comfortable enough retirement, and my brain still seems to function.

Which ain't bad for hitting 80, this coming July. :-)
Desertrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:34 PM   #30
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

I would love to be 29 again, but not under 18. Seems life has gotten rougher and socially more difficult for that group (I have 3 teenage daughters-so my observation of their trials and tribulations).
I think the quote is "Youth is wasted on the young!"
stubeeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Tags
wonderful, young, youth