Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JessiEllen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
I am a college student living in a dorm. We each have an ethernet plug in on our sides of the room. We are aloud to connect 3 devices to this internet. I have my Apple Airport Express hooked up to my ethernet connection so that I can use wifi. The only problem is this takes up one of my devices. My computer is my second device and my Apple TV is my third. I would like to be able to connect more devices to my wifi. Many have done this successfully on my floor, except for me. They told me something about a shared IP address. I have called apple and gone threw all of their troubleshooting with no luck. With the last fix they gave me they told me to re-start my ethernet connection or to ask the tech team at my school to do this. However they are not allowed to help with wireless setups and said even if they could they could not reset mine ( power off and on). How do I make it so any device can connect to my wifi?

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Your Airport Express is likely working as an access point, not a router. If it is acting as a router the dorm would not be able to know how many devices is connected to your Airport Express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.