Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bebop603

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I have been enjoying my new Apple TV and having playing around with the remote--excellent industrial design. At first, I thought it was made from a slab of aluminum like other Apple products. But then I starting wondering how they put it together--there are no seams and getting the electronics in there would be a bit of a "ship in the bottle" proposition. Then I opened the back battery cover (an Apple product with a removable battery--shocking!! :)). The cover itself definitely feels like plastic covered with metal rather than solid aluminum.
Then I realized that the entire remote is probably like that as well. If so, this is probably an application of liquid metal. It feels similar to my old Cruzer USB drive that also used liquid metal over plastic. Seems like the Apple is using a somewhat thicker coating that I remember on the Cruzer drive. Is this a test before Apple starts using liquid metal/plastic(or carbon fiber) on laptops etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.