Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:03 AM   #26
skinned66
macrumors 6502

____ Instagram. This doesn't make up for yanking twitter cards.
skinned66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:07 AM   #27
a.jfred
macrumors 6502

I used it this morning to snap a quick pic, and noticed the camera lags HORRIBLY - worse than it did before.

You can still access your photo library, tho - there should be a button to the right of the new "take a picture" button.

I'd stopped using Instagram for a while, and this update is going to likely push me to other apps.
a.jfred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:18 AM   #28
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.jfred View Post
I used it this morning to snap a quick pic, and noticed the camera lags HORRIBLY - worse than it did before.

You can still access your photo library, tho - there should be a button to the right of the new "take a picture" button.

I'd stopped using Instagram for a while, and this update is going to likely push me to other apps.

I can't access any photo on my iPhone besides the Camera Roll. WTF? They totally botched this. Let me get access to ALL the photos on my iPhone like I used to, not just the Camera Roll!!

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:33 AM   #29
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Hipsters and Pseudo Photographers, rejoice!
Oh really?

Some of us use the service to showcase some more serious/genuine mobile photography or reformat regular photos for the square format. Not EVERYONE takes photos of their coffee on a wooden table. Perhaps you're following the wrong people...

Case in point: www.instagram.com/dharrisphotog

Razeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:00 AM   #30
iapplelove
Banned

Instagram was cool like 2 years ago
iapplelove is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:10 AM   #31
flipn0tic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Instagram was cool like 2 years ago
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the metahipster.
flipn0tic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:18 AM   #32
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipn0tic View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the metahipster.
Uh no. It's true it was a lot cooler 2 years ago when it was more of a community. It's way different now clearly you just joined probably within the last 2 months when it became the thing to do thus your response
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:36 AM   #33
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502a

I hate to say it, but Instagram really has lost it's luster and I have to agree with iapplelove to an extent. It has been over-run with kids and hipsters who post thousands of garbage photos and do nothing more than compete for likes and followers, which has in turn spawned hundreds/thousands of Bot users that have quieted a lot of the community interraction. People used to genuinely comment on photos and the community was fantastic (pre-Android especially). When it started getting too big though, things started to decline. I've noticed too that a lot of the better and more active photographers I followed rarely post any more.
GuitarDTO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:45 AM   #34
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Oh really?

Some of us use the service to showcase some more serious/genuine mobile photography or reformat regular photos for the square format. Not EVERYONE takes photos of their coffee on a wooden table. Perhaps you're following the wrong people...

Case in point: www.instagram.com/dharrisphotog

No offense, but making your iPhone snaps black and white, and slapping a couple of filters on them does not make you a photographer, regardless of if you take a photo of a wooden table, or a guy with a white beard.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:50 AM   #35
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
No offense, but making your iPhone snaps black and white, and slapping a couple of filters on them does not make you a photographer, regardless of if you take a photo of a wooden table, or a guy with a white beard.
Hmmm, so how is this different from any other photography. Is DSLR required? Medium format? Only a certain type of film, a certain type of sensor?

You might not realize it, but ALL PHOTOGRAPHY has some type of "filter slapped on it". Tri-X film, Afga 125, Kodachrome 64, Photoshop actions, LR presets, Instagram filters...It's all the same stuff in principle...

Don't be lame...

INSTAGRAM IS NO DIFFERENT FROM THE MANY TYPES OF FILMS THAT WERE/ARE AVAILABLE.

Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:52 AM   #36
flipn0tic
macrumors member

Quote:
Uh no. It's true it was a lot cooler 2 years ago when it was more of a community. It's way different now clearly you just joined probably within the last 2 months when it became the thing to do thus your response
I'm pretty sure you just confirmed your hipster stance with this response.

"I liked it before it became popular."
flipn0tic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:05 PM   #37
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you just confirmed your hipster stance with this response.

"I liked it before it became popular."
You just don't get it/

Nor will you ever. Pretty sure your always going to be late to the party with everything
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:51 PM   #38
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgant View Post
haha
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:40 PM   #39
flipn0tic
macrumors member

Quote:
You just don't get it/

Nor will you ever. Pretty sure your always going to be late to the party with everything
Hahaha. Such a hipster thing to say. How old are you?

I remember getting over trying to be "cool" after like 15.
flipn0tic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:02 PM   #40
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

App crashes when I load a photo from my camera roll and uploads a black image when I take a photo with the camera. I'm not the only one if you read the reviews. How did this pass QA?
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:28 PM   #41
SONiC5
macrumors regular

This update is terrible, they've done away with live filters and you can only view photos in your camera roll now, as someone with thousands of photos organized into folders, it truly sucks. They also changed the way the front-facing camera works, I hate that annoying photo flip thing.

Quote:
I have to agree. It was a much better experience in 2011.
SONiC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:06 PM   #42
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Hahaha. Such a hipster thing to say. How old are you?

I remember getting over trying to be "cool" after like 15.
Wow you really have no concept of reality and to you it's probably the cool thing to cool people hipsters lol.

2 years ago Instagram was like a small little community like a small forum if you will. Now it's nothing but spam and people probably like yourself just begging people to follow them. It's past it's prime and honestly only the people who were their from the beginning know what I'm talking about. You just missed the point over and over and over.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:00 AM   #43
blue22
macrumors 6502

overall nice update but...

With all things being equal, I'd say the this new update is good overall. However there are a few dislikes I have regarding these areas:

1) Forced square cropping of the uploaded image - I know half of IG users will like this featuring helping to avoid the white (or black) frame borders if the image isn't a perfect square, but sometimes this is exactly what the user wants, and although I'm not one of them I still think they should've at least included the option for those people that still wanted to retain this effect.

2) No more access to your photo albums, just your camera roll - this is really annoying, there wasn't a good reason to drop the ability to select pictures from specific albums you created versus digging through the entire camera roll only, especially problematic if you have a ton of pics to sort through.

3) Removing Instagram photos from Twitter - This is only concerning because of the fact that Facebook now owes IG so I guess we can officially expect more of this proprietary behavior by the powers that be. *ugh*

And for the record, I have to agree with both iapplelove and GuitarDTO about the decline of the quality with the Instagram experience; plus the explosion of spam bots on it over the past 5 months has just been a nightmare.

Just my 2.

Last edited by blue22; Dec 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
blue22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:15 PM   #44
Shellbo6901
macrumors member

The forced cropping only SUCKS if you are trying to post a panorama ): of course sometimes on other photos you'd like to have a black edge, I can deal with it most of the time
Shellbo6901 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:35 AM   #45
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
2 years ago Instagram was like a small little community like a small forum if you will. Now it's nothing but spam and people probably like yourself just begging people to follow them. It's past it's prime and honestly only the people who were their from the beginning know what I'm talking about. You just missed the point over and over and over.
couldn't agree more. drive's me up the walls once i upload n tag a photo and 6outta the 8-9 likes i get within the first minute belong to a user with the prefix "getmorefollowers....". i must've reported and blocked 50+ of them!! within the next 2-3 mins i get a couple of comments telling me my pic is kickass, BUTTTTTT i should check out how the commentor has made some "mad dough" by clicking on some sjkfhnskdjfh.com
Instagram ID - SagarChablani
sagar4995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion