Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 9, 2013, 05:09 PM   #126
sclawis300
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post
But the apps you buy on the phone you use on the phone... If I buy/rent a movie from my iPhone I can download it on my mac and on my iPad and on my PC... I can even stream it to my HDTV with AirPlay...
the point was that you don't necessarily use the thing you purchase on the device you purchase it with. ie, you rent a movie on your iphone/ipad watch it on apple tv (I assume this is possible). My point was I thought it was more likely that you will watch something you rent on the device on which you actually rent the item in question. The issue was brought up that you can't see ipad only apps on your iphone.

Your statement holds true for ipad apps as well, if I buy it with my iphone I can see it on my ipad. So why can't I see iPad apps on my iPhone?

(I concede that it got way more confusing based on the way I presented the argument without linking to all the quotes.)
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 05:13 PM   #127
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
Your statement holds true for ipad apps as well, if I buy it with my iphone I can see it on my ipad. So why can't I see iPad apps on my iPhone?
The difference is that with movies there is a fallback for the device that it is purchased on (SD version). For iPad only apps, you can't use (or even download them) on your iPhone at all.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:20 PM   #128
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
Come on guy! You did something stupid -- take personal responsibility!

This reminds me of that lady that spilled the hot coffee she was unwisely clutching between her knees, then went after McD's for damages. I cannot believe juries pay people no matter how frivolous the suit.
Actually, she just tried to get paid the cost of her medical treatment of $24,000. When a jury heard the actual facts (700 similar cases settled out of court, and McDonald's still selling scalding hot coffee) they raised the damages to millions of dollars, which the judge then reduced to several hundred thousand.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 01:55 AM   #129
j4zb4
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
People make mistakes. I often buy coffee, put it on a tray, carry it to a table. I'm notoriously careful, always carry it so it won't go on top of people if I drop it. There's probably a one in ten thousand chance that I would spill coffee on some person.

One in ten thousand means coffee gets spilled over an awful lot of people every year. Totally unavoidable. Now if that coffee is scalding hot, lots of people will be scalded. Scalding hot is the difference between annoyance and possibly lengthy hospital visit.

However, if a company's management is aware of this... and had literally hundreds of cases against them settled out of court... and continues serving dangerously hot coffee, because they offer free refills and scalding hot coffee means nobody takes them up on that offer which saves money... more money than they paid out to victims of that policy... then clearly the payouts must be made higher to stop them.
Every year there are a lot of accidents at high speeds in exotic cars... Yes it's Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Pagani's fault... They shouldn't make such fast cars... Bad corporates I tell you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
the point was that you don't necessarily use the thing you purchase on the device you purchase it with. ie, you rent a movie on your iphone/ipad watch it on apple tv (I assume this is possible). My point was I thought it was more likely that you will watch something you rent on the device on which you actually rent the item in question. The issue was brought up that you can't see ipad only apps on your iphone.

Your statement holds true for ipad apps as well, if I buy it with my iphone I can see it on my ipad. So why can't I see iPad apps on my iPhone?

(I concede that it got way more confusing based on the way I presented the argument without linking to all the quotes.)
AFAIK some apps are common... i.e. the same app works on both... Whereas some apps are made only for the iPad and they are won't run on the iPhone...


Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Actually, she just tried to get paid the cost of her medical treatment of $24,000. When a jury heard the actual facts (700 similar cases settled out of court, and McDonald's still selling scalding hot coffee) they raised the damages to millions of dollars, which the judge then reduced to several hundred thousand.
$24,000 to cure a burn...? You've got to be kidding me... You could get an angiography done with that much money...

And she shouldn't have been clutching it with her knees anyways... Especially while driving...

Next I'll try to eat through my nose and sue the restaurant when I choke...
j4zb4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:14 AM   #130
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post
$24,000 to cure a burn...? You've got to be kidding me... You could get an angiography done with that much money...
She looked to settle for $20,000. Eight days in the hospital, skin grafts, two years of physical therapy, and $5,000 for loss of income. Not that outrageous.

Quote:
And she shouldn't have been clutching it with her knees anyways... Especially while driving...
She wasn't driving. She was parked in the passenger seat adding cream and sugar. And the award was specifically reduced because she shared fault.
BaldiMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:15 AM   #131
sclawis300
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post

AFAIK some apps are common... i.e. the same app works on both... Whereas some apps are made only for the iPad and they are won't run on the iPhone...
That is the point of the suit. You can buy it but cant use it. You can't by apps on the iphone that you cannot use on an iphone. My point was that you buy an app and it is linked to your itunes account. If you later pick up a different device you can then download it to that device.

For example. Some iPad only game is FREE for one day only. Unfortunately I don't have my iPad with me because I am on the road. I would like to purchase it with my iPhone but I can't because it is iPad only. I think if you can rent a movie that is unwatchable, under the argument that you can watch it on another device, then you should be able to download an app using the same theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post


$24,000 to cure a burn...? You've got to be kidding me... You could get an angiography done with that much money...

And she shouldn't have been clutching it with her knees anyways... Especially while driving...

Next I'll try to eat through my nose and sue the restaurant when I choke...
Have you ever had skin grafts? or stayed in the hospital for multiple days? It is not cheap. I wouldn't go judging someone if you don't know all the facts.
sclawis300 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:37 AM   #132
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
That is the point of the suit. You can buy it but cant use it. You can't by apps on the iphone that you cannot use on an iphone. My point was that you buy an app and it is linked to your itunes account. If you later pick up a different device you can then download it to that device.

For example. Some iPad only game is FREE for one day only. Unfortunately I don't have my iPad with me because I am on the road. I would like to purchase it with my iPhone but I can't because it is iPad only. I think if you can rent a movie that is unwatchable, under the argument that you can watch it on another device, then you should be able to download an app using the same theory.
An HD movie was more like a Universal app. The SD version was included for SD devices.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:53 AM   #133
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030
 
Gasu E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Not far from Boston, MA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post
And she shouldn't have been clutching it with her knees anyways... Especially while driving...
She was not driving. She was a passenger in a parked car.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe a food should be sold that can cause third-degree burns, requiring skin grafts, in two to seven seconds, even if you decide to take a bath in it. This is just crazy. McDs claimed during the trial that they knew it was dangerously hot, but that no one drinks their coffee right away, so that it always cools down. Clearly, this is bogus. Now, in my personal experieince, McDs coffee made my lips blister and my upper palate peel. Perhaps, in your view, it was my fault for doing something stupid such as "drinking" it using my "mouth." Of course, I just ended up just doing the smart thing after that and stopped buying their wretched product.
__________________
Please stop boring me.

Last edited by Gasu E.; Jul 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Gasu E. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:04 AM   #134
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030
 
Gasu E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Not far from Boston, MA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post

Have you ever had skin grafts? or stayed in the hospital for multiple days? It is not cheap. I wouldn't go judging someone if you don't know all the facts.
Any skeptics should Google "Stella Liebeck". You can see some images of her burns and grafts.
__________________
Please stop boring me.
Gasu E. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 01:54 PM   #135
larrybeo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago
Nice Lawsuit!

I agree with this. I think this is absurd they would offer these options for the non-HD devices. Now if someone could please help me decide if my iPad Mini is an HD display or not?
larrybeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 03:20 PM   #136
Truffy
macrumors 6502a
 
Truffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: somewhere outside your window...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post
He should sue himself for renting a movie to watch on 3.5" screen on one count and another for renting an Adam Sandler movie.
I up voted this post. And if I wasn't registered already, I'd register simply so that I could up vote it!
__________________
Too much stuff
Not enough stuff
Truffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:22 PM   #137
sclawis300
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
Any skeptics should Google "Stella Liebeck". You can see some images of her burns and grafts.
NSFW that crap please GOOGLE.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renting Movies - HELP Sdahe Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Sep 20, 2013 09:57 PM
thinking of renting movies to my iPad2 from itune for my long distance flight kevjen888 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 3 Feb 27, 2013 04:15 PM
Problems renting movies? gdbleb Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Feb 27, 2013 12:52 PM
Renting several movies from iTunes for a road trip? Imola Ghost MacBook Pro 2 Jan 17, 2013 02:52 PM
Questions about Renting Movie and Playing Movies from iTunes ! vish26 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Dec 5, 2012 03:36 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC