Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohh epic fail

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
i had this issue with my iPhone 4S a while back and i think i just restarted both the iPhone and apple tv i was air playing to and it worked. have you tried that?

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
All my devices are running the latest OS. I am trying to AirPlay videos from my iMac via the shared menu in the video app on the ipad ( hope that made sense). All I am getting as a result is audio on my tv and the video on my ipad.

I have restarted and reset twice, it has not fixed the issue and it is also doing the same on my iPhone which leads me to believe that perhaps it's a bug?

ohh epic fail

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Which device isn't streaming video? The iMac 2009 can't but the 4s (is it jailbroken?) can. Is it iOS 6.1?

i would assume since this is in the iPad forum it's happening on the iPad.

what app are you trying to air play from? i know youtube had some weird airplay problems for me on my iPhone 4S for a while, but they released an update that fixed it.

some more info on the device, iOS version, app, etc. will help diagnose the problem.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
what app are you trying to air play from? i know youtube had some weird airplay problems for me on my iPhone 4S for a while, but they released an update that fixed it.

I would assume since they mentioned the VIDEO app on the iPad, it's happening with that app. ;)

OP, So you're trying to send video from the Home Sharing menu on your iPad to the TV? If you have an Apple TV to accept AirPlay, you can leave the iPad out of the equation and just send the videos to your ATV from the iMac. Sorry, I'm trying to understand this so I can try to be of assistance.

"I am trying to AirPlay videos from my iMac via the shared menu in the video app on the ipad ( hope that made sense)."

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I would assume since they mentioned the VIDEO app on the iPad, it's happening with that app. ;)

OP, So you're trying to send video from the Home Sharing menu on your iPad to the TV? If you have an Apple TV to accept AirPlay, you can leave the iPad out of the equation and just send the videos to your ATV from the iMac. Sorry, I'm trying to understand this so I can try to be of assistance.

"I am trying to AirPlay videos from my iMac via the shared menu in the video app on the ipad ( hope that made sense)."

Yes your correctly understood, I have opted to go through your suggested route and play via the computer menu on my Apple TV instead. I was just confused why it wouldn't work the former way.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Your 2009 iMac doesn't have the hardware it needs (Intel HD3xxx/4xxx GPU) to do on the fly video encoding for AirPlay. Your iPads do.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Yes your correctly understood, I have opted to go through your suggested route and play via the computer menu on my Apple TV instead. I was just confused why it wouldn't work the former way.

Because you're telling your iPad to send a video from your iMac to your Apple TV. The iPad is just acting like a middle man in this scenario.

My 2011 Mac does the same thing. It will only send audio to the Apple TV when using Home Sharing.

Last edited:

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Completely understand now, you guys have been an amazing help thanks a lot :).

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I have just had a thought tho guys, I can AirPlay videos on iTunes from my iMac to my Apple TV, why is this possible instead?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.