Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoverStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Does anyone know of a software or service that allows you to sort a large image library by the color of a certain portion of the image?

If that didn't make sense, let me explain: I have a very large image library (in the hundreds of thousands) that I would like to sort mainly by the color of the sky. I want to keep everything that was taken on a clear day with blue or mostly blue skies, and eliminate everything with grey, overcast and mostly cloudy skies. Or if the sky was overexposed and ended up white/grey, eliminate that as well.

As long as the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the image is blue/cyan or primarily blue/cyan, I want to keep it. Is there a thing that actually exists to accomplish this?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Does anyone know of a software or service that allows you to sort a large image library by the color of a certain portion of the image?

This sounds like a good first project for someone who wanted to learn OpenCV programming.
http://opencv.org

Other then that, try tagging them in Aperture. It goes quickly after you lean the keyboard short cuts. Then after you tag the images by "sky type" sorting is easy and fast.

Of course what you are trying to avoid is having to manually add all of that meta data tags.

What you need to do is have software start at the top of each frame and scan downward until some not-blue or grey color is found then find the average sky color and add that as a metadata tag. Seeing as you just found the size of the sky you may as well add a tag for that too.

Then in Aperture make a "smart folder" that will apply a threshold to the tag(s)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.