Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
It doesn't seem like dropbox is ever going to implement airplay, god knows why.. but I'm tired of waiting. Does anyone know of any other cloud storage providers that have apps with Airplay? I want to be able to airplay videos and photo galleries from the cloud onto my TV.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Why not use AirPlay mirroring from your iDevice to AppleTV?

What I do for videos is use AirVideo which streams my video content from my PC to the Apple TV via iPhone or iPad.

I take all my pictures with my iPhone 5 so turning on Photostream on the AppleTV takes care of that.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Why not use AirPlay mirroring from your iDevice to AppleTV?

What I do for videos is use AirVideo which streams my video content from my PC to the Apple TV via iPhone or iPad.

I take all my pictures with my iPhone 5 so turning on Photostream on the AppleTV takes care of that.

Because mirroring is not the same, it's not an icon right there beside the play/pause button.. i have to double click home slide over a couple of screens and select it. it doesn't fill the screen as well as airplay. i find it stutters sometimes when airplay never does. and the biggest difference is airplay allows multitasking, the video plays on the tv while i can do other things on my phone or ipad.

i simply want to be able to airplay photos in my dropbox like i would photos in my camera roll. and airplay videos in my dropbox like i can videos in youtube or almost any other app that has streaming video.

is there possibly another app, a media player of some kind, that reads files from your dropbox? kind of like plaintext allows you to edit text files in your dropbox?

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
After a bit of digging I might have a solution for you.

Goodreader syncs with Dropbox and is Airplay enabled. App is 4.99 in the AppStore.

The one downside to this is it appears you may need to download the file first in Goodreader from Dropbox before being able to Airplay it. I can't test this as I'm not near my AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.