Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:11 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Black Pixel to Revive 'NetNewsWire' With Cross-Device Syncing

With Google's move to shut down its popular RSS service Google Reader, users and developers have been considering alternatives to keep on top of the latest news updates from their favorite sources.

NetNewsWire has long been one of the most popular RSS readers for Apple users, having a long-standing presence on the Mac before expanding to the iPhone and iPad, but development on the software had stagnated in recent years. Hope for a revival of NetNewsWire came in mid-2011 when the project was acquired by Black Pixel, but there has been relatively little news since that time.

Black Pixel's Daniel Pasco now shares word that the firm is indeed moving forward with plans to revive NetNewsWire, having already completely rewritten the iOS apps and now moving forward with plans for syncing across Mac, iPhone, and iPad apps now that Google Reader is no longer an option.
Quote:
As far as sync is concerned, we knew we would likely need an alternative to Google Reader as early as last year. At the time, the option that seemed to make the most sense was to embrace iCloud and Core Data as the new sync solution of choice. We spent a considerable amount of time on this effort, but iCloud and Core Data syncing had issues that we simply could not resolve.

iCloud hasn't worked out for us and Google's announcement solidified and accelerated our plans. We love NetNewsWire and its users and we are working hard to provide an update on par with the quality of work you've seen from us in Kaleidoscope 2.
Pasco has not committed to a timeline for relaunch of NetNewsWire, but will continue to provide updates as development proceeds.

Article Link: Black Pixel to Revive 'NetNewsWire' With Cross-Device Syncing
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:32 AM   #2
StarDal
macrumors newbie

Good news there's an alternative in the works.. and since I already use NetNewsWire, even better.

I wonder what's wrong with using iCloud as I have a number of apps that sync via iCloud without any issues.. that at least I've seen.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:27 AM   #3
rhett7660
macrumors G3

This is great news!!! Glad to this. I have not used there software but having someone come in and possibly provide the service is great news
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:29 AM   #4
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

I have apps that sync using iCloud and Dropbox with no issues. Some much more complex than RSS. For an RSS reader, I can't imagine what more data you need to store on iCloud other than the actual RSS feed locations and last sync, etc. The RSS app would control when those feeds are updated, etc. All my RSS app really needs to do is to pull the feeds I have stored in iCloud, and keep track of what feeds I add/remove.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:22 PM   #5
bankshot
macrumors 65816

Heh. I read this article in NetNewsWire. Works well enough for me as is, not sure what I'd want to see in a new version. Maybe the ability to play embedded videos right in the reader. I don't read RSS feeds on the go - once or twice a day at home is plenty - so sync doesn't really interest me. Can't think of anything else.
bankshot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:44 PM   #6
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502

I use Reeder, and according to their twitter the Google Reader shutdown won't affect them. But how does that work? Don't they use Reader as their backend (hence the name?!).
Anyway if they're speaking the truth, I'll just keep using Reeder, which I love anyway
iPhone 5 64GB Black
fruitpunch.ben is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Darvon Olestra
macrumors newbie

Vienna is better

I have a NetNewsWire license and will try the new version, but for now Vienna is better. It's faster and it's free.

http://vienna-rss.sourceforge.net/
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:39 PM   #8
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvon Olestra View Post
I have a NetNewsWire license and will try the new version, but for now Vienna is better. It's faster and it's free.

http://vienna-rss.sourceforge.net/
That's fine, but it won't sync without Google Reader.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben View Post
I use Reeder, and according to their twitter the Google Reader shutdown won't affect them. But how does that work? Don't they use Reader as their backend (hence the name?!).
Anyway if they're speaking the truth, I'll just keep using Reeder, which I love anyway
The Reeder dev. is going to have to come up with some kind of new sync solution to replace Google Reader. Maybe Feedly will let devs use their new Normandy sync API.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:50 PM   #10
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a

I was a bit stunned when Apple dropped RSS from Mail/Safari. Not the best solution(s), but at least some acknowledgement of the importance of RSS. I hope it wasn't a concession to Twitter and Facebook, in exchange for system level integration.

It does appear that RSS as 'a standard' needs to be cleaned up a bit. Probably the main value added by Google Reader was making up for gaps in the 'standard', fixing mangled feeds, and much more.

RSS should include syncing or at least some standard for collecting and managing a user's feeds… These feeds go to Flipboard, these feeds to NetNewsWire, etc. It would be great if all apps could access/manipulate this master list.

I know, put it in iTunes. That's Apple's all purpose subscription tool, isn't it?
Joking!
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:48 AM   #11
Darvon Olestra
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
That's fine, but it won't sync without Google Reader.
That makes no sense to me. Sync with what? Vienna is an RSS reader that uses OPML.

Google Reader syncing is an option in Vienna, not a requirement. To put it another way, Google Reader's existence is not required. Vienna is not merely a front-end for Google Reader.

You just import your subscriptions (from Google Takeout or any other OPML source). Goodbye Google Reader.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:27 AM   #12
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvon Olestra View Post
That makes no sense to me. Sync with what? Vienna is an RSS reader that uses OPML.
I view my Google Reader account on a variety of devices, both Mac and iOS, using 3rd party clients. If each one has its own database of feeds, I'm seeing a lot of redundant feeds every time I open my RSS reader on each device. That's what Google Reader's syncing does for me.
chrfr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:53 AM   #13
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamzeePeter View Post
I was just thinking that what's incorrect with using iCloud as I have a variety of applications that synchronize via iCloud without any problems.. that at least I've watched .. .
The sort of syncing required to use iCloud for this is woefully unreliable. See here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...-sync-problems
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion