Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midnightMachine

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Aren't Q1 and Q2 typically slow months for Apple anyway.. I mean they do WWDC mid to late Q2 and have been typically having releases in Q3.. so carrier expansion or not, I'd think that judging APPL's market performance right now, it is kinda on track.. I mean they didn't release anything new. Hell the product in question barely got an update.. T-Mobile should probably do well, but I would be willing to bet that iPhone sales don't spike because of this. I think with the news that they were releasing it, many consumers who were already planning on purchasing one waited, or like me, returned the one they bought in haste, and used that to fund the exact same iPhone with the slight update.. If APPL tanks in Q3 then we might have a thing or two to worry about.. but this release wasn't for Apple, it was for T-Mobile... IMO of course.

M

Mr.damien

TMobile just released the iPhone on a new carrier and AAPL is down over 2% today and reached a new 52 week low.

Google released nothing today and are only down 1.03%.

This shows that the market and investors have lost faith in Apple and Tim Cook and company aren't doing anything about it other than apologizing and saying "We've got great stuff coming this year". One Quarter if finished and Apple has nothing announced.

This only reminds us that SJ didn't give a **** to shareholders, market or whatever other crap...

gdimarco

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
On Friday I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. I don't know if I have a bad SIM card but my phone keeps dropping from 4G to Edge. Repeatedly.

Same problem, full signal with 4G and then it drops to Edge.

I leave really close to a tmobile tower, if I drive 1 miles to the north I get Edge, 1 miles to the south I get Edge.

Not sure how is that possible.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
If T-Mobile is successful with its uncarrier strategy, it might mean more competition in the USA wireless market. Look at T-Mobile Family Plan. $100 for 4 lines ($25 per line).

T-Mobile_Simple_Choice_Plans-630x206.jpg

Line 1: $50 ----------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 2: +$30 ---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 3: +$10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 4: +$10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 5: + $10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This is saying to T-Mobile:

"Welcome to the world of Apple"

Now there're getting a taste long lines, what Appel retail sores have always had.

tvquang

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
TMobile just released the iPhone on a new carrier and AAPL is down over 2% today and reached a new 52 week low.

This shows that the market and investors have lost faith in Apple and Tim Cook and company aren't doing anything about it other than apologizing and saying "We've got great stuff coming this year". One Quarter if finished and Apple has nothing announced.

Apparently, Stocks were down is because the terror bombs in Boston. Market will be affected by any terror risk.
There is nothing to do with the iPhone launch on Tmobile.

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
If you're going to reference the list of 22 carriers in the US, make sure you double check the features listed for each one.

Example: Straight Talk: Yes for FaceTime over Cellular (violation of TOS: streaming) and Mobile Hotspot (not offered, period). Strangely, my iPhone 5 (BYOP on AT&T via Straight Talk) shows tethering, password and all, but won't do anything when I turn it on.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
its still the same price as AT&T once you add the phone payments and more 4G data

If T-Mobile is successful with its uncarrier strategy, it might mean more competition in the USA wireless market. Look at T-Mobile Family Plan. $100 for 4 lines ($25 per line).

Line 1: $50 ----------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 2: +$30 ---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 3: +$10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 4: +$10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 5: + $10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

Anyone remembering the beginning of 2012 and Tim Cook announcing it would be a year full of awesomeness? (not remembering his exact words right now)

Did they ship anything that wasn't either totally obvious or "fair enough"?

They sure let me down quite a bit. I wasn't expecting anything much more with the iPhone, but beyond that they didn't really try their best IMHO. (they might have shipped great products, but they raised the expectations way too high on year's start for what they announced during '12)

Glassed Silver:mac

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
its still the same price as AT&T once you add the phone payments and more 4G data

AT&T: (4 * $45 for the 4 lines) + $40 (1 GB data) = $220
T-Mobile: ($50 + $30 + $10 + $10 for the 4 lines) + $40 (4 lines of 2.5GB data) + $80 (iPhones loan) = $220

With AT&T 4 lines would be sharing 1 GB of data. With T-Mobile each line would get 2.5GB. If I wanted a 32GB iPhone 5 I would have to pay $299 upfront with AT&T, T-Mobile I would have to pay upfront $199. At the end of AT&T 24 month contract the monthly price is still going to be $220. At the end of 24-months, T-Mobile will drop down to a monthly price of $140.

The only place where AT&T is cheaper is when you go unlimited data for 4 phones on T-Mobile ($260) vs. data plans up to 10GB shared for 4 phones on AT&T ($240).

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
AT&T: (4 * $45 for the 4 lines) + $40 (1 GB data) = $220
T-Mobile: ($50 + $30 + $10 + $10 for the 4 lines) + $40 (4 lines of 2.5GB data) + $80 (iPhones loan) = $220

With AT&T 4 lines would be sharing 1 GB of data. With T-Mobile each line would get 2.5GB. If I wanted a 32GB iPhone 5 I would have to pay $299 upfront with AT&T, T-Mobile I would have to pay upfront $199. At the end of AT&T 24 month contract the monthly price is still going to be $220. At the end of 24-months, T-Mobile will drop down to a monthly price of $140.

The only place where AT&T is cheaper is when you go unlimited data for 4 phones on T-Mobile ($260) vs. data plans up to 10GB shared for 4 phones on AT&T ($240).

nope
with mobile share i pay $266 including $40 in taxes for a 4 line family plan with 10GB data
at that level it's $30 per phone

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
nope
with mobile share i pay $266 including $40 in taxes for a 4 line family plan with 10GB data
at that level it's $30 per phone

Untitled_zpsec20f4af.jpg

This is what I went off. 4 * $30 + $120 = $240 before taxes. If you are getting a discount fine. What I said holds true based on the posted prices on the AT&T website:

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

This is what I went off. 4 * $30 + $120 = $240 before taxes. If you are getting a discount fine. What I said holds true based on the posted prices on the AT&T website:

the small print on t-mobile's website says taxes are extra. so $140 for the plan plus $80 a month for the phones plus $40 for the taxes is the same as i pay. it's $20 less than the full price AT&T plan, but are people going to switch?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
the small print on t-mobile's website says taxes are extra. so $140 for the plan plus $80 a month for the phones plus $40 for the taxes is the same as i pay. it's $20 less than the full price AT&T plan, but are people going to switch?

Time will only tell if T-Mobile will be able to attract people from other carriers. In my area LTE is not available but the 4G speed I am getting is fast enough for me at this time. I have only encountered a couple of 2G spots and one of those is at my home. Not a big deal since I use WiFi at home. I like the fact that I will be paying $70 less for the iPhone 5 vs if I had purchased it directly from Apple. With my discount I am paying $125/month for (2) 32GB iPhone 5 with 2.5GB data for each line. What was surprising to me is HD voice, amazing clarity. I am a happy switcher so far. Even better when LTE gets turned on in my area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.