Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:54 PM   #51
Komentra
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
Try scrolling a list of 500+ songs. It totally chokes on that and a lot more normal functions under iOS 6. Perfectly smooth under iOS 5.x, though. Not just my experience, I have seen three other iPhone 4's (not 4S) in my office brought to their knees after the iOS 6 upgrade.

As a very basic smartphone, it may be OK, but there are a lot of better choices at the same price (free, where ATT is concerned). On the other hand an iPhone 4 running 5.x iOS is still a great phone.

----------

So long as you continue to run 5.x, I would agree.
I just opened Music on my iPhone 4 32gb and scrolled through the songs tab without it slowing at all and I have 27gb worth of Music. I'm also a member of iTunes Match so maybe you mean songs on the device?

Anyways, I don't think it's stupid at all. I bought a unlocked iPhone 4 and am currently using it on a prepaid as you go network because I hate contracts and can always change phones. Unlimited everything for 45 bucks and haven't lost signal yet or had any troubles.
Apple TV 2

Last edited by Komentra; Oct 23, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Komentra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:13 PM   #52
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a

Multiple posts talk about being locked into the older phone for two years.

That does not have to be.

Buy someone's unlocked 4 and put it on a service like Straight Talk. You buy a $10.00 sim, then it's $45.00 a month. No contract. Save your shekels and then stop anytime, such as when another iphone comes out that you just have to own.
FieldingMellish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:55 PM   #53
JCCL
macrumors 6502

I would not buy an iPhone 4. Simply put, it runs acceptable right now, but it will son be very slow. If it gets iOS 7, it will most likely be very slow. If I had the possibility I would get an iPhone 4S, which has a much powerful processor. In addition, many current apple devices are running the same A5 processor found in the 4S (iPad 2, iPad mini, iPod Touch 5), which will surely be a good target for performance that developers will use as reference when creating apps, and would mean it will be performing better for a longer time (with a 4S, if Apple keeps the current trend, you might get up to iOS 8, and an acceptable performance out of iOS 7). Therefore if you have the opportunity, I would fork out 99 and get a 4S!
JCCL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:05 PM   #54
davidlw
macrumors 6502a

I just bought a 4s today because the 5 is nowhere to be found. Fits my needs and when things settle down and supplies are back up, I will get a 5.
davidlw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:17 PM   #55
faroZ06
Banned

No, it's worth it. I have one, and it definitely beats the Android phones and comes close to the newer iPhones. The 4S and 5 just brought faster hardware (yawn), AirPlay mirroring (wish I had it, but I don't really need it), a bigger screen (good, but I don't care that much), Lightning (good later, but a disadvantage for the time being), 3D maps (useless), a thinner/cooler design (whatever), and Siri (yawn). And my iPhone 4 regularly outperforms my friend's Nexus even though it's older and has worse paper specs (720p video on the 4 is actually better than 1080p on the Nexus, for example).

Plus, you can't jailbreak the iPhone 5 or the 4S running iOS 6, but you can jailbreak the iPhone 4. I don't know if you care about jailbreaking, but I do. I can't stand using MobileSafari without a user agent faker so that I don't get forced to use mobile sites.

So I'd consider the iPhone 4 the best value for a smartphone right now by far. I'd definitely not buy a 4S, most likely wouldn't care for the 5, and wouldn't buy an Android phone. Windows is so low on my list of possible smartphones that I almost forgot about it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by djransom View Post
I upgraded my children my the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 a few weeks ago. It's still a phone that makes calls, sends texts, with occasional web browsing so it's still good IMO.
Just for that, you can use a 'Droid phone or even a cheap flip phone. There's much more to a smartphone than calls (overpriced, not very good) and SMS texts (overpriced beyond belief and reason).

Last edited by faroZ06; Nov 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:37 PM   #56
bushman4
macrumors 6502a

IPHONE4 is a great classic phone. It has many of the features of the Iphone5
(however not all) . If you are looking to save money and this is your first iPhone you most certainly will be happy.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:39 PM   #57
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

The iPhone 4 is two models behind, I wouldn't buy one at this point.
ucfgrad93 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:50 PM   #58
Booji
macrumors regular

For some people who really don't care about having the latest and greatest, its still a fine device that will likely be supported for two more years.

I just upgrade to the 5 and I'm selling my 4 32GB on ebay. I'm surprised how easy it is to sell Apple stuff. I got S$400 for it (USD $320) so the high resale value makes owning an iPhone not so expensive in the long run.
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:54 AM   #59
Mike305
macrumors newbie

There's no big difference between the 4s and 4 for a regular user. It only differs in Siri, 8 megapixel camera, sound guided maps, and A5 processor. My wife still has the 4. It runs perfect even with the latest iOS. I recently found a good deal of 4s refurbished and replaced my old 3GS with it. For me, there's a big difference between the 4s and 3GS. It's like day and night. So if you are serious about getting an iPhone, get the 4 or 4s.
Mike305 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:00 AM   #60
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjshino View Post
Is is stupid to buy an iphone4 right now?
Subjective matter. Depends on the needs/wants/etc of the person.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone