Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcdieter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Just updated my ipad2 from 5.0.1 to 5.1 and now the rear facing camera doesn't work. The "lens" remains closed for long periods of time and when it does finally open it just displays a severely distorted image (see attached image). And then the lens closes again after a second or so.

The front facing camera works fine when I able to switch to it.

Anyone else having this problem? I looked around but couldn't see anything...

Thanks

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    384.5 KB · Views: 206

mikesp

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
I'm facing a similar issue

only my camera lens remains closed all the time..
I've done a full restore to factory settings and did NOT restore from an early backup but set it up as a new iPad. Once I got a "clean" iPad it worked.
Unfortunately after copying my apps onto the iPad and syning it with itunes I'm facing the same issue again..
I have an iPad2 3G (not jailbroken or anything).... This is especially "funny", as the camera in apps like facebook are actually working..

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
have u fixed your ipad's camera issue?

i have that issue too. just bought a new ipad. it was working well, suddenly the camera shutter animation is freezing. it won't open so i can't take pictures.

:(

mikesp

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
You should send it in...

If you have warranty I would send it in to Apple Support.
I did that, however due to a small bump on the surface (that has been there long before my camera issue) the didn't replace/repair it according to their terms.
I am a bit pissed at the support because clearly my issues has nothing to do with the bump on the surface since all was fine before 5.1 so I will have to live without the camera for now. :mad:

But if your iPad doesn't have any bumps or scratches they'll replace it.
If you happen to have an Apple Store nearby then this might even be a better option (the guy from the support hinted at that) but mine is over 300 miles away..

Anyways, good luck!

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
If you have warranty I would send it in to Apple Support.
I did that, however due to a small bump on the surface (that has been there long before my camera issue) the didn't replace/repair it according to their terms.
I am a bit pissed at the support because clearly my issues has nothing to do with the bump on the surface since all was fine before 5.1 so I will have to live without the camera for now. :mad:

But if your iPad doesn't have any bumps or scratches they'll replace it.
If you happen to have an Apple Store nearby then this might even be a better option (the guy from the support hinted at that) but mine is over 300 miles away..

Anyways, good luck!

i would drive 300 miles just to go to the apple store if i had that here.

unlucky for me that i imported the iPad from another country, and in my country it's not been released yet. so bad luck to me.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Two things...

1 - Try a hard reset (not the same as a restore) - press and hold power and home button at same time until white apple shows up, let go. Sometimes, this will settle down weirdness.

and 2 - It sounds like you have an app conflict if it worked before you re-downloaded your apps. Not all apps play nice-nice with the iDevice and/or other apps. You might consider either taking them off one at a time and see if/when the camera works again. Or take them all off and check camera after each app re-install.

nimrodzalel

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
I Have the same problem

hi all,
hi have the same problem with the camra after i update my ipad 2 ios to 5.11

i did restore (without puting my buckup) and it still didnt work
also hard reset and turn it on and off....

what else can i do ?????????

thanks!:(:(:(

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I think it's not a software issue. On iOS 5.1 or even 5.1.1, my back camera has been sometimes it works sometimes the shutter won't open at all. My conclusion is loose connector on the camera.

ChristosC

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Prob with camera roll!

Hey guys
I have a problem with my camera roll
When I save a photo from Facebook or safari , they are not saved to the camera roll and says that it is empty.
What sould I do?
Help!

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
That sucks

I hope that doesn't happen to my new iPad, it'll be running iOS 6 though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.