Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:36 AM   #201
MCAsan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
HSPA+ is a type of 3G service (LTE is supposed to be "real" 4G, but cell providers are quick to call fast HSPA+ 4G as well)

Only TMO says that. That is because they did not plan to rollout LTE until the ATT purchase fell through. You will not hear ATT, Rogers...etc. saying that their GSM or WCDMA infrastructure is 4G...regardless of the data rates. It is not until LTE that there is an all IP network which means using VoIP, and doing simultaneous voice and data sessions. TMO is simply putting a good spin on their ability to deliver good data rates in some markets. I give their marketing group an A for effort.
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:39 AM   #202
Wolfpup
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
Only TMO says that. That is because they did not plan to rollout LTE until the ATT purchase fell through. You will not hear ATT, Rogers...etc. saying that their GSM or WCDMA infrastructure is 4G...regardless of the data rates. It is not until LTE that there is an all IP network which means using VoIP, and doing simultaneous voice and data sessions. TMO is simply putting a good spin on their ability to deliver good data rates in some markets. I give their marketing group an A for effort.
WCDMA handles voice and data at the same time too, and LTE isn't 4G either...unless you count the redefinition where everything is 4G lol
Wolfpup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:00 PM   #203
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
Basically TMO management got caught flat footed. The German owners wanted to sell the off. So TMO management came up with the idea of saying their WCDMA/GSM network is already 4G, not, and not spending the money on LTE rollout.

So all the eggs were in the one basket that ATT was set to purchase until the DOJ said nope. So now TMO has to continue to pretent their network is already 4G while rolling out LTE, which is the closest thing to the 4G definitions as is available. But it is a bit deal and cost to upgrade the Radio Base Stations in thousands of sites coast to coast and put in a new all IP switching/routing infrastructure. So TMO will likely stay far behind ATT and Verizon on LTE availabliity.
They should have done what EE did in the UK, and joined their network with AT&T's, but stayed separate in marketing and phones. The combined network would have been epic, whether through merger or partnership.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:33 PM   #204
Wolfpup
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
They should have done what EE did in the UK, and joined their network with AT&T's, but stayed separate in marketing and phones. The combined network would have been epic, whether through merger or partnership.
Now THERE'S a very great idea!
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:23 PM   #205
memo90061
macrumors regular

I have my iPhone on T-Mobile, and Edge seems usable on message boards, but for everything else it's hell!
memo90061 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:32 AM   #206
Lamster
macrumors newbie

I been getting 3g in Staten Island. According to speed test i get:

Lamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:34 PM   #207
b.c.
macrumors 6502

if you bring your own unlocked iPhone to T-Mobile, can you use it with one of their no-contract plans? e.g. their "Monthly4G" unlimited talk text & web plan?

or do you have to sign a contract to do BYOiP?

also, what data speeds are people with an iPhone 4S seeing in NYC?

UPDATE:
Followup to answer my own question, was able to get a microSIM card at a T-mobile store and while there sign up for their "web only" $30 Monthly4G plan (no contract, 100min, unlimited txt & data). The service rep set everything up and my son is now using his unlocked iPhone 4S in Manhattan and reports 3G speeds. Of course no visual voicemail, but otherwise no "hacks" to get it working

Last edited by b.c.; Jan 9, 2013 at 01:37 AM.
b.c. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:45 PM   #208
Wolfpup
macrumors 68020

I would seriously consider this IF there aren't hacks involved and you get 3G. If it's all GSM and EDGE, and you have to do weird stuff to even get that, then...
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:17 PM   #209
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
That's why, beginning September 12th, we're stepping up our efforts to attract customers with unlocked iPhones to T-Mobile. Each of our branded retail stores will receive an iPhone 4s demo unit and our sales staff will start training to help customers set up their compatible iPhone. We're also developing iOS versions of helpful T-Mobile applications like T-Mobile myAccount, T-Mobile Visual Voicemail and T-Mobile TV (we already offer an iOS version of our popular Bobsled application).
Has anyone heard anything on T-Mobile's Visual Voicemail app? This would be the bargaining chip to get me on that carrier within hours.
SkippyThorson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:30 PM   #210
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpup View Post
Now THERE'S a very great idea!
Yeah, sadly it's never going to happen though.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion