Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Just updated to iTunes 11 after doing a restore. iTunes 11 was working fine for a while. I get around to adding my iPad and iPhone to iTunes, which I wirelessly sync. Instantly every time I open iTunes 11 it asks me to allow or deny incoming connections. iTunes is already allowed to come through the firewall. Never had this problem before. I switched my iPhone and iPad to connect only via the cable and not wirelessly and the bug stops. Obviously iTunes 11 in some cases is viewing incoming connections via Wi-Fi from iOS devices as a threat and requests permission each time.

Reported the bug to Apple. I doubt anything will come of it. But I thought I'd share to see how many people are experiencing this issue.

redseagoby

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
incoming request bug

same here on 2012 Retina Macbook Pro, except in my case I sync using the cable, directly with iTunes. Stumped Level 2 Apple Support (but this was after Level 1 support told me to delete my entire system cache, which introduced a serious Time Machine bug/error causing it to never complete. I got rid of that after some serious hacking and terminal command line repair sequences. Be careful - the bug is far less of a problem than that "cure" which didn't work was).

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
iTunes 11 Incoming Request Bug

Yes! I have it, too! It keeps coming back every time I open iTunes even though I click "ALLOW" every time. Aggravating, but I'll live with it until :apple: fixes it.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Just updated to iTunes 11 after doing a restore. iTunes 11 was working fine for a while. I get around to adding my iPad and iPhone to iTunes, which I wirelessly sync. Instantly every time I open iTunes 11 it asks me to allow or deny incoming connections. iTunes is already allowed to come through the firewall. Never had this problem before. I switched my iPhone and iPad to connect only via the cable and not wirelessly and the bug stops. Obviously iTunes 11 in some cases is viewing incoming connections via Wi-Fi from iOS devices as a threat and requests permission each time.

Reported the bug to Apple. I doubt anything will come of it. But I thought I'd share to see how many people are experiencing this issue.

I was having the same exact issue with iTunes 11 always requesting permission.. I had to uninstall iTunes 11 (which wasn't easy) and reinstall from Apple.com website instead of AppStore update. Now that that is fixed.. I'm having an issue now where my Apple TV2 will disconnect from home sharing when the iMac goes to sleep after 10 minutes.. frustrating! I seem to think the firewall is the culprit.. going to disable the firewall completely and see if it improves.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Although you may have not seen it in previous versions of iTunes I've had this issue periodically since about iTunes 9, including point releases, on different Macs. It's happended to me again in iTunes 11 so I wouldn't hold out hope on Apple fixing it.
There is a solution as JRoDDz mentions but it means removing iTunes.app by the Terminal, as you can't just drag the app to the Trash, and then re-install from apple.com.
Just Google for "sudo remove itunes". Don't worry, it will only remove the app and not your Library and when you re-install from the download the firewall message should be gone.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Although you may have not seen it in previous versions of iTunes I've had this issue periodically since about iTunes 9, including point releases, on different Macs.

Same for me - and for some reason it always disappeared sooner or later. Don't know why, but I certainly didn't remove and reinstalled the app.

This time it started with a clean install which I've done some days ago, iTunes 11 wasn't the reason, as I used it before.

e4xit

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I have a completely fresh install of ML on late 2012 iMac 21.5" and it happens.

Basically, I added my music and imported my old library from my windoze 7 machine, then enabled the firewall in system prefs and its happening.!?

This can't be right, surely this isn't the hassle-free OSX I've been bearing so much about! ;)

But seriously, it is a little annoying; if anyone has a fix, please let me know...

Also here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread/4692937

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I have a completely fresh install of ML on late 2012 iMac 21.5" and it happens.

Basically, I added my music and imported my old library from my windoze 7 machine, then enabled the firewall in system prefs and its happening.!?

This can't be right, surely this isn't the hassle-free OSX I've been bearing so much about! ;)

But seriously, it is a little annoying; if anyone has a fix, please let me know...

Also here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread/4692937

See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1525142/

e4xit

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Will try. Thanks!

this won't delete my iTunes library file or backups or anything right?

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Will try. Thanks!

this won't delete my iTunes library file or backups or anything right?

If you follow the steps in that thread, the only thing you will delete is the iTunes application in the Applications folder. Your library will not be touched.

e4xit

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Lovely job.

Will try tonight when I get home, perhaps making a backup of the library file first, just in case y'know!...

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.